help needed please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed please

I'm hoping someone can help me break this 11 year brick wall....I must be missing something, and I'm getting so frustraited

I can not find a death cert for my GGgrandfather.....Samuel Mckay, he must have died between 1895 and 1901 as My Grandfather William Mckay was born in 1896, (can't find a birth cert for him either) and Johanna his wife is a widow in 1901

I have the wrong death cert for Samuel Mckay 1896 manchester and have cross referenced the other obvious deaths with the census. My cousin is convinced he abandoned his family and maybe jumped ship, hence no death cert, but I'm not so sure, (how would I find out?) I think it would help if I could find him on the 1891 census, but he's nowhere to be seen

I really need some help and guidence!

Toxteth Park workhouse entry's

date of entry 27 Feb 1891 destitute Johanna mckay born 1855 discharged 17 July 1891
    husband Samuel Mckay enginer

date of entry 27 Feb 1891 destitute Annie elizabeth Mckay born 1880 Discharged 28 March 1891

date of entry 27 Feb 1891 destitute Mary Jane Mckay born 1884 Dis. 28 March 1891

date of entry 27 Feb 1891 destitute Samuel Arthur Born 1889 Discharged 17 July 1891

date of entry 29 July 1891 Johanna Mckay Discharged 21 April 1893 husband Samuel enginer

date of entry 29 July Annie Eliz Mckay Discharged 31 July 1891

date of entry 29 July Mary Jane Mckay Discharged 17 June 1892

date of entry 29 July Samuel Arthur discharged DEAD 29 Dec. 1892

1891 census

Jahanna Mckay head widow born Whitehaven 1861

Jane daug born Liverpool 1885

William son born 1896 Liverpool

I can not find a death cert for my GGgrandfather.....Samuel Mckay, he must have died between 1895 and 1901 as My Grandfather William Mckay was born in 1896, (can't find a birth cert for him either) and Johanna his wife is a widow in 1901
    There is one aspect that you may be obliged to consider... some pregnancies were implausibly long, when attributing paternity to long-dead (or long-absent) fathers.

It might be worth looking abroad for any plausible matches, though. Some of the USA census info is available on Ancestry - if you don't have a sub, some local libraries carry the library edition, which members get use for free (not from home). He'd have been born too early to appear on the SSDI (free on some sites), I imagine.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I think the census info you've quoted looks more as if it's 1901?
      RG13/3429 fo 57 p 17

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

thanks for replying Christine, are you saying to look for a death for samuel abroad?

Joyce

Comment

oops...yes your right, it is 1901

Comment

I was really saying "look for traces of Samuel abroad".

I found my paternal grandfather's record that way. My father had always said he was killed in WW1 (e.g. on his marriage certificate), but my mother had (much later on) mentioned that he may not have come back because he chose to go elsewhere - and that the States had been mentioned.
            (http://magazine.familytreeforum.com/...:february-2010)

It might throw up something. I had "lost" some sidelines of my mother's family: just disappeared after 1871. I found that there was a One Name Study, so I contacted the researcher, and he told me that that part of the family had emigrated to Australia. I recently found the Australian newspaper account of the death of the "Head" of the family, on top of having been able to pick up lots of BMD records. It helped a lot that the surname was uncommon, and there were some unusual names as given names, too.

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-03-10, 23:15.

Comment

Have you found him on any of the censuses?

I presume this is the marriage in 1880

Q/E Sep 1880 West Derby Samuel McKay and Joanna Cannell. That's from FreeBMD but Lancs BMD has the marriage as between Samuel McKay and Joanna Connell, Toxteth Park, St James
              Jackie

Comment

Working...
              X