Rice from Offaly Ireland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rice from Offaly Ireland

Looking for information going back on my greatgreatgrandad Thomas Rice born about 1830ish ??
    he appears in griffith report in Eglish Offaly,I am looking to go back on him.
    His son William Rice born 1855 came to uk before 1886 as he was married in this year living in Beswick manchester
    Thomas had a brother Roderick as his son also Thomas can to uk same time as his cousin william and on marriage cert Roderick down as father(my greatgrandad William also calledone ofhis son's james roderciK)
    I was told Thomas b 1830 came from a large family
    any info would be greatful
    Domo

It might be worth you having a go on the familysearch beta/pilot site:
    Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

There are certainly a number of RICEs with Offaly connections.

I have seen "Roddie" as an abbreviation for Roderick, so I suspect that "Rody" is the same, too.

Christine

PS - just noticed, as I posted, that you're new to the site: Welcome to FTF!
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 05-03-10, 15:57.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Domo

Welcome to FTF.

I am not sure I understand what you want? You have a William Rice born 1855, presumably Co Offaly? This William came to the UK. Have you found the Rice family in Manchester on the 1861/1871/1881/1891 Census?

Are these Rice Catholic or Protestant? Important to know because Irish Catholic State registers did not sart before 1864 so a Catholic born 1855 is going to be baptismal registers only and only about 25% of catholic baptisms are on the Irish IGI. In the main Catholic baptisms are going to be found in The Dublin National Library whilst Protestant baps and marriages will be found in the Dublin National Archives. There is a pay per view site available but not all the baptisms and marriages are on this site.

Online Irish ancestral Birth, Death and Marriage records for Ireland. Irish Genealogy research center - Irish Family History Foundation

I suggest you key into the search box above Irish Research for more help.

PS Remember also that back in the 1850's Offaly was Kings County not Offaly.

Janet
      Last edited by Janet; 05-03-10, 16:14.

Comment

Janet
        i have got William's marriage to martha kay 1886 in St Phillips Manchester
        i cant find them in 1891 but found in 1901 William down born 1861 Ireland but in 1911 born Kings County 1855
        i think they were prodestant as my dad was as well
        i am looking to find infomation going back on his father Thomas Rice he apears in the Griffiths report in Eglish ballynagard Offaly and a few more Rice lines do as well.
        i tried the site a few months ago and no luck for William but Roderick(His uncle) appears on there
        Dom

Comment

Dom

Ok so you do know for definite via the 1911 census that he is coming from KC. That was what I was hoping you would confirm. Going backwards beyond 1864 in Ireland is very hit and miss! However, Protestant records are easier in one way because they can go back to the 1600's, but they can also be more difficult as more of them were destroyed in the Forecourts fire in Dublin in 1922. Grifiths Valuation is a good one to start with. Are you looking at the Index or the full Griffiths giving you all the details. Full Griffiths is the best as it includes landowners, the acres rented/owned maps etc. The Index is too sparse and really only gives you the name and place. The full Griffiths are online at Irish Origins but to access them will cost a small sum.

Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!

There are some online for free at Griffiths Valuation

but not sure if they are all on there. I also notice that this has index in its web address so may not be what you want However, I did notice a Thomas Rice two Michael Rice and a William Rice from Eglish which is a Barony in KC. Ballynagard is most probably the townland. Always useful to know the Barony/Townland/Parish/ for Irish tracing. You can google all those to find out what they are

The next best way of a check is through Tithe Aplotments, google to see waht you can find on that but I do not think these are available in the UK, but maybe worth checking the LDS centre in London. You may also find information on Irish IGI though to be honest they are not all on there and most are post 1864 rather than pre 1864, but always worth checking out.

If your Griffiths Valuation Rice are landowners of more than a certain number of acres then they will be in Tithe Aplotments (TA). Again to be perfectly frank most people in Ireland around this time were tenant farmers and did not own their own land and that can be a telling clue. Tenant farmers were most often Catholics as it was the Protestants that were most often the landowners. The difference between these two valuations is that TA only had those who had so many acres, cannot remember the amount offhand. TA was around in the 1820's to 1830's whereas Griffiths included everybody. Griffiths is around 1840ish to about 1864.

I hate to say this but if you are back to the 1830's in Ireland then you will most probably have to try and have a holiday over there. You have the townland so try to see if you can find the place and church online through a google search.

Do not assume that your forebears were Protestant just because your father was. It all depends who he married in England as to whether or not the children were brought up catholic or protestant. In my case my Catholic Irish Great Grandmother married my Protestant English soldier Great Grandfather in Ireland and of the ten children, half were brought up Catholics and half were brought up Protestants.

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 05-03-10, 19:39.

Comment

Working...
          X