Local history books, Harlow, Essex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local history books, Harlow, Essex

Does anyone know of a good book about the local history of Harlow, Essex? Preferably available to buy online. I’d like to do some background reading into the town.
    James
    Am I related to Scott of the Antarctic? The hunt is on.
    http://www.symidream.com/scott/home.html
    My pages for families from Collin and Whittaker of Harlow to Cozens of Dorset to Soper of Cornwall and beyond…

Try this site. Lots of photos on there as well.
    Browse our selection of vintage and retro black & white photographs of Harlow, along with old maps, local history books, and fascinating memories that our visitors have contributed. All our photos and maps are available to buy in a wide range of product formats, including framed prints, canvas prints and photo gifts including tea towels, personalised mugs, jigsaws, tableware, cushion covers and as customised calendars.

Moggie

Comment

Have you tried keying in "Harlow Essex" into the Search box on Amazon. I have done this with Northants books and have come up with loads. Some are out of print and accessible through Abe Books but Amazon has come up with many books of Northants interest for me.

Janet

Comment

Try google books too - sometimes they have old ones for downloading.
        Margaret

Comment

And you could "try before you buy" by using the inter-library loan service. If you are a member, your local library can get you books from (presumably) Essex Libraries for a small fee.
          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

James is in Greece, John! :D

There is some historical information on each town/village in directories if you can find the relevant one here http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/

Also there's the British History Online site http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rep...x?compid=63848

And then of course many other sites with info on the history of Harlow can be found online via a Google search, without the need to buy a book

Comment

Have you tried the Essex page in our Reference Library for links about Essex?

or Keldon's site on historyhouse.co.uk.

Either will probably have some good background reading for you.
              Caroline
              Caroline's Family History Pages
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                James is in Greece, John! :D
                I can't be expected to read the small print at my age!!
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by james collins View Post
                  Does anyone know of a good book about the local history of Harlow, Essex? Preferably available to buy online. I’d like to do some background reading into the town.
                  James
                  The main books you find on Harlow are more about it as a New Town.
                  I lived there up to last year (moved up to Ware), not a lot to see and getting very run down.

Harlow appears in the Victorian Counties History Volume 8

Archeological history of Harlow on the Essex County Council's Unlocking Esssex

Main three books on the history for the area:
                  History of Harlow- by L.H. Bateman, published by Harlow Development Corperation.
                  Harlow The Story of a New Town- by James Chesterman and Geoff Penna, published by Publications for Companies ISBN 0904928118.
                  A History of Harlow by Revd, Canon J. L. Fisher, Vanessa A. Harding, Norma Knight, Beryl Board, J.G.S. Brinsone. Published by Victoria County History of Essex ISBN 0860234908, Published by Baron Birch.

Researching:
                  FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

All great advice, thanks folks. I did start down the Amazon and Google routes as I am sure I saw just what I was looking for a while ago (a printed book to sit on the sofa, or under an olive tree, with and make notes in etc.) but couldn't find it yesterday. Those titles and authors will really help and I will have another look again later today.
                    J
                    Am I related to Scott of the Antarctic? The hunt is on.
                    http://www.symidream.com/scott/home.html
                    My pages for families from Collin and Whittaker of Harlow to Cozens of Dorset to Soper of Cornwall and beyond…

Comment

Working...
                    X