Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composer poser ??

Hi

Brain picking again - I've got a Great Uncle who apart from running a music shop was supposed to be a reasonably successful composer. I wondered if anyone knew of a way of tracking down some of his music ?? Doesn't help that I'm not sure what sort of music we're talking about - could be comic songs or full orchestra or somewhere in between.

I know he managed to work "lets all go down the Strand" into the wedding march at my Gmothers wedding so maybe comic is more likely
    He was known as Millward Hughes ( I know Hughes :( ) but was actually christened Peter........ don't ask !! He lived in Birkenhead Wirral born 1890's

Any help, as ever, greatly appreciated

Roger
    Last edited by RNM; 03-03-10, 18:00. Reason: can't spell millward !!

This looks like one:
    Category19th Century Songs Beginning With TTitleThe Dawning LightStock Reference Number41358ComposerWords and music - Walter Robarts and Millward...

I found it by googling: "Millward Hughes" music
    but it might actually be "J. Millward Hughes: d. 1928" http://www.rscm.u-net.com/addenda.html

There should be a reference here: http://www.jstor.org/pss/903964
    but it doesn't quite work. ... must go! OH wants a turn!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hiya Roger,

have you seen this?

Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Roger have you seen this ?

BIRKENHEAD. ST. ANNE'S CHURCH. Built by Willis. Removed from
        North Transept to Chancel, 1893, by Hardy, Stockport. Opened by
        present organist. 2 manuals, 24 speaking stops, 4 other stops and
        1,308 pipes. Tubular pneumatic action to pedal organ only. Organist :
        Millward Hughes.

Also ....

HUGHES, MH&WARD, 9, Park Road, S. Birkenhead. Born Birkenhead,
        1862. Professor of music. Organist and Choirmaster St. Anne's
        Church, Birkenhead, since 1887. Publications : 42 pianoforte works,
        15 songs, 4 organ works, 15 hymns, anthems, etc. Recreation : Golf.

Don't know if it relevant or not,
        here's the link,

its a long page so just put "hughes" in the search box.

Oops just noticed the dates dont tally. Are you sure he was born in the 1890's ?
        This one was born in 1862 in Birkenhead.

If so,could this be his father ?

Comment

snap Christine!

might be worthwhile contacting them in any case Roger, they might be able to point you in the right direction.
          Julie

Comment

not sure if this will work or not.
            Julie

Comment

OMG !!

1 Mea Culpa - he's a GG Uncle so the dates everyone found are right, in my defence I only posted it on a whim having read another musical post - NB to self - Always check the dates !!

2 how come everyone elses googling is so much more productive than mine :( I only found one with a link to St Mathews that didn't work :( )

I knew about the Roberts link but haven't really explored that line much. Hughes is such an awful name to track that I'm only just fleshing out the skeleton tree I've got. Millward is an obvious starting candidate if only for adopting such a killer name. The only source for the name is a census report (I won't guess the date I'll check later !) that has a Mr Millward as a lodger in his parents house in Market Street. Assuming there isn't some more immoral direct connection (perish the thought !) I've presumed Mr Millward is some relation (maternal line) and he adopted the name for business use. Haven't found the link though. My Grandmother always referred to him as Millward Hughes and never Uncle Millward although all the others got Uncle/Aunt................. more to do

Massively excited about the music I'm going to have to track down some copies - music is such a personal link to the past.

Thanks to everyone

Roger

Comment

There are a few cuttings about him in the local newspapers - do you have access to the 19thc newspaper site?

One of them says he composed the Doris Waltz, which seems to be quite well known (and rather different from his usual output of hymns and the like ).

Comment

Thanks Mary I'll check that out - again have tried before but with no luck ....................... Its a while ago though so maybe theyve added to the archive since I last tried.

Is it me or does Doris not sound like an unlikely inspiration to a waltz !! Mind you Herods wife was a Doris so maybe he knew a Doris full of Eastern promise !

Roger

Comment

Hi

there is an entry on the National Archives site J Millward Hughes

The official archive of the UK government. Our vision is to lead and transform information management, guarantee the survival of today's information for tomorrow and bring history to life for everyone.

if you use the Edit and find wrod off your toolbar and enter Millward you'll find the entry a little quicker.
                    WendyP

Comment

In the 1901 and the 1911 census both taken at the 9 Park Road addresss this man appears as John Millward Hughes his profession is clearly shown as Professor of Music. In the earlier census he appears as John James Hughes same age, birthplace, occupation, wife and family including a son Francis Millward Hughes bn 1892 Birkenhead,
                      WendyP

Comment

how come everyone elses googling is so much more productive than mine
                        This might be because you haven't picked up some of Google's tricks?
                        If you're googling a name with more than one part (i.e. given name(s) and surname, say), then put it all into inverted commas. Google treats anything in inverted commas as a single search-term. e.g. "Millward Hughes" rather than Millward Hughes.
                        If you put a minus-sign in front of a search term, then google will not choose any hits where that search term is found. This can be useful if you have a search term which brings up lots of irrelevant hits including a particular word.
                        There are some other tricks, which I don't use so often, so can't bring to mind so readily.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Wendy - I'm going to have to bite the bullet and do the Hughes family ............ groan lol
                          Trouble is they not only have the commonest surname in the parish but went by an odd assortment of nicnames and second names so the verbal history isn't always that helpful not to mention one of them dissapearing in the 1930's off to sea and then maybe according to gossip living in Durban ...... its all a bit complicated :(
                          Still we like a challenge

Christine I'm obviously going to have to read Googles instructions .......... its a man thing its always the last possible resort

Roger

Comment

Christine I'm obviously going to have to read Googles instructions .......... its a man thing its always the last possible resort
                            I don't think that RTFM applies only to men - it applies to anyone who is able to make a start on something without looking at the instructions. You just have to learn and pick up tricks as you go along.

Google has all sorts of useful sidelines. I'm certainly still learning.
                            For instance, there's
                            define: search term
                            which pulls up dictionary definitions off the web.

And there's something about using a tilde ~

There's a trick for confining your hits to a particular website, too. I ought to learn that one. I know that they say that the HMRC website is easier to search from Google than from its own search system!

Christine

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                              There's a trick for confining your hits to a particular website, too. I ought to learn that one.
                              That's an easy one to remember. Just type in your search term as usual, then:

site: (followed by the URL). No space after the colon; I had to add one here, otherwise it produces a smiley)

e.g. "Fred Bloggs" site:www.lan-opc.org.uk

You can also use the "site" command to see results only from certain countries:

e.g. "Fred Bloggs" site:au
                              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 05-03-10, 19:38.

Comment

Thanks, Mary

I must try to make it stick this time!

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                X