Military question:County Militia mid 1800s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military question:County Militia mid 1800s

Query for those with military knowledge. I have a young man born 1826 who is fairly reliably supposed to have been at Merton College Oxford between 1849-1852.

There is someone of the same name who gained a commission to the Dorset Militia as Ensign in 1843, when my young man would have been about 17 years of age. That same young man was promoted to Lieutenant in 1852.

The young man's family had generations of service with the Dorset Militia, some in very prominent positions, so I have no problem with that connection.

What I would like to know is if it was possible/usual/likely that a military career would co exist with a time at university in the mid 1800s?

The young man in question emigrated about 1853 and abandoned both scholarship and military advancement in favour of a pioneer lifestyle in the Colonies, so I suppose the question is somewhat academic....but I would like to know.

Am heading off to bed now, but will check for any responses tomorrow.T.I.A
    Last edited by Macbev; 02-03-10, 16:35.

Beverley

Yes, I would say it was possible. The Militia was part-time.
    The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
    Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Have you checked him out in the Oxford alumni database?

Comment

Thank you for that opinion, Annswabey.

Yes, Mary...I have had the Alumni record for some years now, thank you....there is no doubt of my man having attended Merton College....that record includes the name of his father. But the militia commission is harder to verify as the name is not all that uncommon.

Beverley

Comment

I presume that you have found him on the 1841 and 1851Census? This might narrow options down as to possible place of birth, which might then help you finding any military details in either Doset Militia or even army docs at Kew. Is he in Oxford on the 1851 Census?

Militia records as well as army records are at TNA Kew and an e mail to TNA may help you at least to find out what is available, though from Australia that may mean getting someone to pay to do a search for you. Dorset CRO will also have information on Militia Records and belonging to the Dorset FHS or your own local FHS may also be of some help as Australia have wonderful opportunities for getting hold of many records from the UK.

Whereas in earlier years Militia was part time, in later years the Militia was often a service that experienced soldiers went after they had completed a service of engagement in the army. My own great g father went into the North Lincolnshire Militia after completion of army service.

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 03-03-10, 11:41.

Comment

Thank you Janet. Although he is missing in 1841,and appears only on the 1851, at home, I know his birth details...in fact, I know a good deal about him, as the family has a well-attested family tree. I have the Oxford details from the Alumni Oxoniensus 1500-1886, which gives quite sufficient detail to identify him as my chap.

I am really only trying to fill in a few of the gaps, the time with the Dorsetshire Militia being one of those. Thank you very much for the suggestions on how to approach that problem.

Beverley

Comment

Militia Lists are available too, although not sure what dates they cover. This is, I assume, like the Regular Army List - i.e. he will be listed in each year that he served, with rank and date of commission. Will disappear when he leaves the Militia, with poss reason.
              The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Working...
              X