Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Robert Dobson Please

Hi

One of my direct ancestors William Dobson married Hannah Smith 24 Nov 1838 Pickering. The marriage certificate shows William's father as Robert Dobson (Labourer). The most likely marriage for Robert based on the date and place of birth of William and his siblings is Robert Dobson Mary Turner 28 Dec 1807. William was, I think, the eldest child and born in 1809 his siblings being James (1812) Jane (1816) and Mary (1818)

I have struggled to find any more information on Robert. I think he would be born c1787. If I am correct then he would be in his early 50's for the 1841 census. However, I can not find any plausible census returns in Pickering which seem to be correct.

William's wife Hannah came from Whitby. There is a William Dobson married to a Mary living in Whitby in 1841 The age given for Robert is 57 which is possible as I do not know his year of birth. The problem is that they are there with three children William born 1826, Thomas born 1829 and Mary born 1832. The very fact that William survived and lived well into his 70's makes me wonder about this as it was common to name a second or third child with the same Christian name but in my experience this was usually done after the death of a child with the name. William born 1809 also had a sister Mary but I do not know whether she survived. This is what makes me think that they are a different family.

However, set against this the previous family on the 1841 census is a the Turner family. William 40, Ann 47(I presume his wife or sister) and Mary Turner 77 (his mother?). Is this the family of Mary.

I can not find a death for either William or Mary. Does any one have access to National Burial records. If I could find out where Robert and Mary died I might be able to establish if this family is my Robert and Mary.

My other problem with this family is that Dobson is a very common name in this area of Yorkshire.

Any help with this riddle will be most appreciated.

Sandra

I don't know if these are any help to you.
    NBI coverage of Middleton nr Pickering St Andrew only 1813-1837
    14/8/1814 James Dobson age 2
    1/11/1831 Mary Dobson age 9
    20/12/1831 Robert Dobson age 55
    6/11/1833 James Dobson age 39

Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie,

Thank you for the burial records. They may be my lot as The marriage of Robert and Mary and the Christenings of James, Jane and Mary took place in Middleton by Pickering. Is this all the information given? It would be useful if I knew who the father of James aged 2 was!! He is certainly the right age to be the sibling of William and Robert aged 55 could be my Robert.

This lot are a real pain particularly as Dobson is so common in this area!!

Once again thank you for the information,

Sandra

Comment

Hi
        That's all the info that the NBI gives. Sometimes there are more details in the actual register i.e son of, wife of etc but not always.
        Moggie

Comment

Working...
        X