Torn certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torn certificates

I have a few old certificates and a funeral bill that my MIL gave me some time ago that have been folded quite small and they have split on all the folds. What is the best way of preserving them.
    One was sellotaped quite some years ago and this has disintegrated and left the certificate in 8 pieces, the rest are all in pieces as well. Not sure how to preserve what is left.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Insanity is hereditary - You get it from your children!

I think there may be some useful info on the British Library site - or the British Museum or the V&A... I feel I've seen something on one of them a while ago.

They have the critical experience of looking after old documents of all kinds. Initially, I suppose you could keep them in non-acid filing pockets - but I can't think how you could be sure that the various pieces wouldn't shift.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine will go and have a look on the V&A & British Museum sites. Was wondering if anyone had had the same problem and what they did about it. Such a pity as some are 1890 docs.

Comment

The best way to preserve old documents is to encapsulate them in Mylar or similar.

Note Encapsulate not Laminate.

When a document is encapsulated it is encased in the Mylar or similar protective sleeve. If the sleeve is damaged the document can be removed and placed in another sleeve.

The laminating process is different as the document is bonded (glued) to the laminate and can never be removed.
        This means if the laminate is damaged the document is lost.
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks Guy, will go and look for some of the mylar sleeves to put them in.
          I also have two birth certificates that were stuck with flour and water glue to cardboard, they have kept reasonably well!!

Comment

I've been wondering about this too as I have my great grandfather's original 1890 birth certificate. At some point in its life it has been glued to another piece of paper and folded into three. It is now exceedingly fragile and the creases have broken open on the cert and only the backing paper is holding it together. I think I need to open it one last time and scan for posterity, but I don't really know how to cost effectively preserve it for much longer.

Kate x

Comment

I suppose it's possible to slit open a punched pocket, position the fragments and then perhaps staple the pocket closed. That should then scan OK. But it all depends how big the original is. Some of my older certs are quite a bit longer than A4.
              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                I suppose it's possible to slit open a punched pocket, position the fragments and then perhaps staple the pocket closed. That should then scan OK. But it all depends how big the original is. Some of my older certs are quite a bit longer than A4.
                The older ones are more like foolscap, I think?

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hello I had same problem as my grandfather kept his certificate with his passport and it was folded for a hundred years eventually tearing and permanently cresed. I used a non toxic glue stick to glue it to a piece of printer paper enabling us to view it , I then put it in a mylar sleeve to prevent any further damge or contamination from handling the document. It is also able to breath as the sleeve is not sealed.
                  TerryAnn Landells
                  Our health is our future Your health is your future
                  Together let`s make it a priority Healthy Roots make for strong trees

Comment

That's a great idea Uncle John, I'll try and get to it this week. It's one of those things I've been meaning to do for a while, but you know how it is...! It's actually quite small, probably not much more than 5x3 though the paper it's been stuck to is a bit bigger. It's definately a contemporary certificate though as the date of the registrars signature is not superceeded by any other date on it and it says 'Certificate of Registry' not 'Copy of...' etc. It gives me shivers just touching it as it's a physical link to my past - my Great-Great Grandparents touched it, held it proudly whilst cradling their newborn son. I can never, will never forget that these people raised the people who raised me. They were real human beings and I owe it to them to preserve not just the certificate, but their memory too.

Right, off to google mylar sleeves. Any reputable suppliers you know of?

Kate x

Comment

Below is a link to a supplier of acid free tape etc which everyone may find helpful.

Magnifiers, Tissue paper, Brass paper clips, Gloves, Acid-free pens, Document repair tapes, Adhesives, V-mounts, Paper preservation spray.

I have ordered before from this company and their service is excellent.
                      Helen
                      Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

you could always scan the orignial documents and even if they are torn they are able to be pieced back together virtually via photo editing software such as 'elements'.
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I know that some crafting materials are acid and lignin free which you have to use when keeping photos, perhaps along with the mylar folders I can keep them for a bit longer. As you say Kate, my documents are also from the 1880-1890 wedding and birth certificates and a funeral bill all very different in size and colour with the wedding certificate being in blue/grey! Will scan them then at least I will always have a copy just in case.

Julie the photo editing programme sounds very interesting as well at least then there would be a permanent record.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

Comment

Jo

I have successfully peiced back together torn/ripped certs via the scanner and elements before now, when you get them scanned, shout up and we'll see what we can do :D
                            Julie
                            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

To fix them back together use archival tissue tape. It's acid free and virtually invisible when stuck on. Be very careful though as it sticks like the very devil and also has a bad habit of sticking to your fingers! Use a bit that's a couple of inches bigger than the tear. You can then cut these bits off (with their inevitable fingerprints). Start from the outside edge and smooth the tape down as you go. When you reach the end of the tear, cut the excess off. Then trim off the excess from your outside edges. The link in Helen's post will take you to the right stuff.

With long certs I find the best idea is to make a photocopy and then scan that copy. If you set the copier top reduce the orginal to 88% then it fits fine into the A4 paper. If you are not photocopier savvy, go to your local library; the staff will help you. The A4 copy is also handy to keep as if you need to send a copy to anyone who doesn't have a pc, all you need to do is get another photocopy of your A4.

Keep your original certs in acid free pockets.

Good luck!
                              Last edited by GallowayLass; 13-03-10, 12:06. Reason: typo

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your very useful suggestions, will order some of the tape to try to put them back together and then scan.

Julie when I have completed this I will send them on to you for you to have a look at. Thank you for the offer.

Comment

Working...
                                X