Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heligoland / helogoland again...sorry folks

Hi.....
    HELIGOLAND was British from 1807 to 1890...it was swapped with the Germans for Zanzibar and my gg grandfather was b 1848 in Heligoland and was a BRITISH SUBJECT on 1881 census..this means born on a British owned Island

prior to being British it was owned by DENMARK

now it is owned by GERMANY

I find it strange that if Carl Freidrich Sacht was born on a British Island I CAN NOT find anywhere on 5 genealogy sites where I can do any research on Heligoland /Helogoland .........anyone any thoughts /ideas......it`s soooooo frustrating...someone somewhere must have records on Carl......allan
    Last edited by garstonite; 01-03-10, 13:02.
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

There are a couple of entries on Google that mention births on Helgoland/ Heligoland, but I don't know how old they are. According to one reply:

"you need to contact Erich-Nummel Krüss email him at kruess@museum-helgoland.de".

I sympathise with you - my OH's GGf was supposedly born in a Swedish enclave in St Petersburg, but the area is now either Finnish or Russian, and tracking down details for him have proved impossible. Good luck.

Linda
    Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Thanks very much Linda....I have just e-mailed the museum......after years of trying I now have a contact for Heligoland at least......I am definitely going for a summer holiday if his records are there....Australia will have to wait for a year....lol.....allan
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire

Comment

Hiya Linda.......ozgirl......just to let you ( and anyone else) that the museum replied yesterday...ALL records destroyed during WW2.......that`s a blow.....seems a total loss now....allan

Comment

Sorry to hear that Allan, it is a blow when all information is lost. Hope you get better luck with your other lines.

Linda
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

It would appear that a member on FTF was at Kew Gardens on Friday and whilst there she looked up on the records for Heligoland and THEY have records...one citizen b 1860 had asked for records in 1920...so I am thinking that maybe ALL the British Records from 1807 - 1890 were transferred to England....could one of the more experienced members / or an administrator advise ne as to whether I should write to Kew Gardens or is there an e-mail address that I can contact them....and thankyou very very much Ann, the FTF member who took the time to look for me at KEW....you have given me hope again....allan

Comment

Working...
            X