No announcement yet.

LONDON - Research Wanted in London?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Office: LONDON - Research Wanted in London?

Hi - one of my brick walls is Abraham Gorringe (Goringe/Goring etc) - who apparently died in 1778-9.

The following information was given to me but I can't substantiate it.

Abraham Gorringe (b 1730) was a bookseller in London, England and had a brother Richard who died in 1770. Abraham & Anne & their daughter Betsey Ann all died c. 1778--9 leaving daughters Ann (Nancy) Sarah & Charlotte. Archdeaconry Court, Middlesex Jan 1780. On the 25th day, Administration of goods, chattels & credits of Abraham Goringe, late of the Parish of St. Martins in the Fields in the County of Middlesex, deceased, was granted to Ann Goringe, spinster, the daughter and sole executrix, she having been first duly sworn to administer

I can't find his official date of Death, his Will or his Probate. We found his brothers Will & Probate (tho no official burial)

His wife was Ann (Anne) Lloyd (Loy)
    "
    Last edited by Caroline; 01-03-10, 13:18.
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

Originally posted by jood View Post
    Hi - one of my brick walls is Abraham Gorringe (Goringe/Goring etc) - who apparently died in 1778-9.

On the 25th day, Administration of goods, chattels & credits of Abraham Goringe, late of the Parish of St. Martins in the Fields in the County of Middlesex, deceased, was granted to Ann Goringe, spinster, the daughter and sole executrix, she having been first duly sworn to administer

I can't find his official date of Death, his Will or his Probate. We found his brothers Will & Probate (tho no official burial)

His wife was Ann (Anne) Lloyd (Loy)
    "
    Letters of administration are/were granted when a will has not been made which will explain why you haven't found a "will & probate"
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks for putting me right Judith. So how do I sight a copy of this Administration to obtain details of the actual date of death. (to prove it), would you know?

Comment

London Metropolitan Archive holds the Middlesex Archdeaconry archives including Probate and Administration act books 1680 - 1810 Although they have some wills available online I think the admons would have to be searched in person. The references are DL/AM/PBA and microfilm X74/8-13
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks Judith - I'll try on line. I'm in Australia, so can't get to the archives. I did visit there when I was in UK 1998, but was after different information.
          Appreciate your advice.

Comment

Working...
          X