help with family tree maker 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with family tree maker 2010

I was wondering if anyone can help me out.
    I am an elderly woman,and just got this computer.I have been playing card games and putting around on the internet(a little).So in a few words ... my computer skills are very little.
    I decided to try to make a family tree.I have some names in it already.
    The questions so far,are..
    1. how to keep from dulicating a name? meaning if you have brothers from family 1 marrying sisters from family 2....would they be listed in FTM numerous time or just once?
    2. how do you go about merging two family trees?
    Remember I do not know very much about "computer lingo" so plain and easy works just fine for me.
    Thank you in advance for your time and patience.

1.If you have two trees you wish to merge, then click file>merge.
    2.Make sure you know where the new file is you wish to merge.
    3.It should be an .ftm file (that's the bit at the end of the name of the file that says what sort of file it is)
    4.Click look in and find the new file to merge with.
    5.Click on the file and click open.
    6.If you want to merge everyone then just click the button include all individuals.
    7.If you want to be selective then click include only selected individuals.
    8.Click OK.
    9.If you want to merge the information for individuals whose information matches then click merge matching individuals. Otherwise click add individuals without merging
    10. You can even select how closely individuals need to match to merge, using the advanced tab.
    11. Click next.
    12 The merge wizard appears. The list on the left will be individuals that are flagged so you can decide where to put them. warning you will need to resolve all these flagged people before the process is finished, so make yourself and drink and take your time! Each individual has a match score with a likely match from 0 to 1000. There will be a complicated box listing choices as to how far the individuals match between the existing tree and the merging file.
    13. Once you have resolved everyone then select next then merge.

Comment

I suggest you deal with duplicate individuals by merging them,

go to edit. find duplicate people. It will ask if you want to backup (that is, save a copy). do this.
      It will then attempt to find matches for people. Only merge peope that you are dead certain of. When I did it, there was only one proper duplicate, the rest were different people.

Si Todd

Comment

Working...
      X