Emma Smith born 1830(ish)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emma Smith born 1830(ish)

Can anyone help find a birth for my 2nd Great Grandmother Emma Smith. She was married on 9/9/1849 at St George the Martyr, Southwark, Surrey. The marriage cert says her father was George Smith a boatbuilder (or similar). In the census' she says she was born in Hull, Yorkshire and her husband's family (John Chapman, his father Thomas) I believe came from the Hull area.

I also have two samplers that I was told came from this branch of the family but you know what family tales are like. "Ann Smith sampler wrought in the eleventh year of her age 8th August 1815" and one from Emma Smith aged 12. Ann's sampler has an embroidery of a windmill with 5 sails not 4. I think that there were 5 sailed windmills in Lincolnshire and Hull. (There is a possiblity that the samplers came from the only other Smiths in my close family - Samuel Smith 1800 and Phoebe Noble who were based in Suffolk)

I found one Emma Smith with father George in the 1841 census but this says George born in London.

Any suggestions or help very welcome.

Ayse

Hi Ayse
    Have not looked for Emma's baptism yet.

My maritime Brazills originated in Yarmouth Norfolk, but married at St Dunstan in the East Stepney, Lee Kent and St Mary Rotherhithe. They moved between Yarmouth and London quite easily, and Thomas, in 1807 was captured with his ship by the French, on a trip from Hull to London. One of the girls married Christopher Ingham at Bermondsey Surrey, although he appears to be from Yorkshire. The Coastal and Coal trade meant people could move up and down the coast quite easily, especially boat and barge builder, mariners and others in the maritime trades.

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thanks Di. I know the east coast had loads of trade going up and down but with a name like Smith getting any further seems almost impossilbe, especially as I am in Newcastle and find it difficult to take time off work to go hunting. I hope someone might have suggestions as to where I might look on line for more info -

Thanks again

Ayse

Comment

I don't know of any Hull records, pre civil registration, that are on-line, other than the IGI.

By co-incidence, I am looking for a pre-registration Emma Smith too, but at least I have a middle name (Lewis) and a birthdate 18 Feb 1824. I know she was born in Monnmouthshire and baptised 20 Mar 1840 in Bristol (mother Annie Leek). I have lots of stories about her from various family members but can pin down nothing !!
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Hi, the 1841 doesnt actually give places of birth, just a cursory tick saying born this county or not born this county. So never take it for granted that the bloke ticked the right column.

The marriage register actually seems to say George Smith occupation Captn. Which I assume is a captain??? The grooms dad is a carpenter so Im sure its not the same.
          Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 02-03-10, 22:26.

Comment

Are you aware of her siblings? Are the witnesses of the marriage related?

On the 1851 John's place of birth is Camberwell, Surrey.
            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 02-03-10, 22:47.

Comment

Sorry for the dealy in replying. I will have to find the marriage cert and have a look and get back to you. Thomas Chapman was certainly a carpenter. As far as I can tell he was involved in building quays and his son my G?grandfather was a pile driver. George Smith I recall now was a captain on the marriage cert, at least that is how I read it. There is one of those family legends, call it what you like that someone in the family had barges on the Thames. If you look carefully John was born in Lambeth, Surrey on the 1851 census and they are living at Stangate. (This is where St Thomas Hspital now is, opposite to the Houses of Parliament). It's just this Emma Smith, with father George has been bugging me for ages and I don't know where to go next.

Thank you for looking

Ayse

Comment

Just one other thing - on the previous page on the 1851 living at 5 Stangate is father Thomas with his family (descendants of one of the children has the same family photos). I have no idea if Emma had any siblings as I can't seem to see her anywhere on the 1841. Just had a thought(silly me). If George was a Captain, this could explain why Emma was possibly cared for in Hull. I suspect the families knew each other in Hull - if only I could find them.

Ah well, I'll just have to wait until I can go record hunting in person, rather than on the net.

Comment

from looking at what you have already tried, you could purchase PR cds from EYFHS, http://www.eyfhs.org.uk/content/shop...re.php?shop=PR

I know its abit of a long shot, but, it might help. seems to me you dont have many options not unless you can order the film from the LDS near to you? that could possibly be another avenue to explore.
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Darksecretz thanks. I'll look into it. It's just so frustrating when there is a dead end and nothing esle available on line. Which parish registers do you think I should look to? Hull, maybe?

Comment

Silly me I've just checked the link and East Yorkshire is the one.

Comment

Darksecretz Yes, I checked the site and it could be worth a punt.

Heather Positive Thinker - The witnesses were Frances Bell and ? Atkinson - not related that I know of. Both families look as if they were living in Blackfriars Road at the time.

Thank you both

Comment

as she constantly gives Hull as POB then I think that is where you have to start., I did see one Emma Smith living in clerkenwall in the 1841 cens, though she didnt appear to be living with any other family members.
                          1841:

its possible if dad was a captain that he was away at sea on enumeration time, so that could be why he is so hard to find.
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I have tried searching for Emma Smith in Hull in 1841 but with little success. I agree with you about finding anyone involved with boats or ships. Another bit of my family were canal boatmen in Worcestershire and they only appeared on the census once. Some of their pre-registration children were born out of county so tracking them down is not an easy task. Back to Emma - as her husband John Chapman's father Thomas came from Hull, possibly Sculcoates, I wouldn't be surprised if the families were already aquainted. Families do seem to congregate where they know someone already. As I mentioned before, I reckon the families could have been building boats/quays on the Thames - census info and family rumour was barges and loss of money. My Grandparents had some late Georgian and high Victorian furniture from a large house in Balham when the Chapman's owned/lived there. Enough rambling and thank you

Ayse

Comment

Working...
                            X