Marriage Bond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage Bond

I've just downloaded a marriage bond of 1747 from LMA. I was hoping it would tell me the name of the bride's father, but it doesn't.

The marriage DID take place between Robert Franks and Mary Wilson, spinster, both of the parish of Wonersh in Surrey. Robert is the first party, obviously, to the marriage bond, but the second party is a John Heath of the parish of Holy Trinity Guildford. Can I take this to mean that Mary's father is dead, or so far away that he can't sign the agreement? Would John Heath necessarily be a relative of Mary's or just someone who knows her?

Your thoughts and opinions, please!

Belinda
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

I can't say this is always so but the bonds I have are usually signed by the groom to be & someone of 'standing' in the community to whom the groom is known. This is when the groom was a lowly ag lab. etc. & couldn't possibly swear to pay a bond of £100 or more. Quite often the person was his employer.

On one I have the bride is a minor & it states with the consent of her father. He was also an ag. lab. so in no position to sign the bond.
    Last edited by Oakum Picker; 28-02-10, 12:49. Reason: More info.
    Glen

Comment

Originally posted by Oakum Picker View Post
      usually signed by the groom to be & someone of 'standing' in the community to whom the groom is known. This is when the groom was a lowly ag lab. etc. & couldn't possibly swear to pay a bond of £100 or more. Quite often the person was his employer.

On one I have the bride is a minor & it states with the consent of her father. He was also an ag. lab. so in no position to sign the bond.
      Aah - this explains it. I'd thought that the second signatory was signing for the bride, but if he's signing as some sort of financial guarantor, that makes much more sense. Thank you!
      Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

That was the point of the bond, as I understand it. When people marry by licence the banns aren't called, so somebody has to vouch for the husband.

Comment

Working...
        X