sheffield help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sheffield help

Im trying to find info on my gt gt grandad. Thomas Wright 1843 Sheffield.
    I have him listed as a publican is 1871 in South Anston, in parish records I have both his marriages , baptism of his children and his buriel in 1878. his death cert says he died at 105 Wallace rd, Brightside Bierlow sheffield..thats 12 miles away. His wife Susannah was present at his death, so I have no idea what they were doing in Sheffield. his widow is shown on the 1881 back in south Anston.
    Wallace road does not appear on the 1871 census (Id wondered if it was a pub or beer house) and in 1881 its empty.
    Where would I look for brewery records, or lisence records?

Rachie

Thing is, you die where you die! They may have called in to friends for afternoon tea or whatever and he died. The cause of death on the cert might tell you if this is likely, or whether they had been there for a while.

Licencing records are patchy and not on line as far as I know, but you can sometimes pick them up in the County Records Office, or sometimes the local archives.

OC

Comment

Strangley, if you search the full address in Google maps, the first result is the Northern General Hospital, which is now in Herries Rd, There is a Wallace Rd Sheffield to the south. Neither seem to be anywhere near Brightside Bierlow, though.

I have often found that death certificates give a street address for the death, but no indication that it is a hospital maybe it is a regulation of BMD that they have a street address ?

Di
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Diane

It was a later requirement (after 1878) that only street addresses be shown, not the names of institutions, so I THINK that if Wallace Rd was a hospital or workhouse, it would say so on a cert of this era.

Was the cause of death something suden, or something which might have been going on for days, weeks, months?

OC

Comment

Cause of death was pneumonia, of 4 days. Looking on the 1881 census 104 and 106 were residential address, 105 was "unoccupied" I cant even find the street on the 1871 census, so either they were new houses or it was renamed.....I had wondered if perhaps it was a pub, but seems unlikely if it was unoccupied.

Comment

Hi, you could try this forum for Sheffield - I have used it for my Sheffield ancestors. It is a quite good site with lots of local knowledge.

Sheffield Records Online website provides index to 1841, 1851 (full) & 1861 (partial) Sheffield census, Trade Directories. Features personal database of members Sheffield interests.

Sandra
            Last edited by Sherbertrose; 28-02-10, 15:45.

Comment

thanks sandra, I shall look on there.
              I have found out today reading another forum that the houses were built by the railway company, to house it workers, building was finished late 1879 early 1880, so thats why I cant locate the road on the 1871 census.

Comment

Hi Rachie
                I have just started my family tree
                My gt gt grandma is susannah Pawson/Wright/Padgett and my gt grandma was Hannah Wright and gt gt grandad Thomas Wright.
                I have taken the Pawson family back to 1750 but I am stuck with Thomas Wright. Do you have any info about him?
                I didnt even know about Henry but i am now on the case as I still live in Anston. I have been searching the parish records rather than census.
                Thanks Hellie
                ps my Grandad was George Wright Goddard
                I think I have Thomas living with his uncle growing up in Anston on a big farm but I have a feeling he was born in Aston.

Comment

Hi Hellie,
                  I have not found much info on Thomas, Census returns give his DOB as 1844 in Sheffield. He was, as you say, brought up by his uncle, also Thomas Wright.
                  Sept 1870 he married Sarah Inman, he is listed as farmer, she a farmers daughter from woodpiece mill, they had a child John Inman Wright died 1871. 2/3/1875 Sarah died.
                  6/7/1875 Thomas Wright, publican, widower married Susannah Pawson, daughter of william, Farmer.
                  As you know they had Hannah and Harriet.
                  Thomas died in 1878, but in 1884 Susannah had a third child, Henry Wright....of course this cannot be Thomas' son. The family story handed down to my mum (Henrys grandaughter) was his father was a tailor who was married to someone else, once he realised his relationship with Susannah had led to pregnancy he took his family and went to Australia. The story after this you know, Susannah married George Padgett....
                  I have Thomas Wrights death cert, a photo of Thomas and Susannah and a photo of Susannah and George with Pearl and Ruby Bontoft(Ethel Padgetts children) if you would like copies of these feel free to let me know.
                  ps I also have a copy of the newspaper ad from the 60's looking for relatives of Henry to come forward.

Comment

Hi Rachie
                    Thanks for the prompt reply.
                    I have found Henry Wells Wright's death details in the parish records (1966), and it looks like Harriet Wright died a year later and they either lived together or on the same road here in Anston. Is this your gt grandad Henry, he is listed as living at 5 or 51 Windmill rd and is this his sister Harriet. I cannot find any details of their births though, in Anston documents.
                    xxx
                    Helen

Comment

Hi Helen,
                      Certainly this is my gt grandad Henry, the parish records (according to genuki) say he died at No 5 windmill Rd....however his death cert says No 51!
                      His death cert says Henry Wells Wright, died 14th april 1966 51 windmill Rd, Anston. retired colliery worker. Cause 1 hypostatic pneumonia,2,cerebral softening 3,hypotensive atheroma. informant R Wright (thats Robert his son)
                      Henry married Harriet Morris may 24th 1904, at St Marys Beighton. (interestingly Ethel Padgett was a witness) so I am pretty sure Harriet Wright was his wife not his sister and the correct address is 51 not 5.
                      just for interest Robert lived at No 14 windmill Rd.
                      Henry and Harriet had:
                      Ethel 1905
                      Frank 1910
                      Thomas 1915
                      Harry 1917
                      Robert 1920

As for Henrys birth cert he was born 25th sept 1884 but not registered 'till oct 25th, in anston Worksop...so perhaps check the next quarter?,however I dont think he was baptised so it wont be in the parish registers. (I can copy the cert by PM if you want)

Comment

Hi Rachie
                        Wow I cant believe how interesting all this is becoming. I wonder what happened to Harriet the sister. I have a feeling Ethel Wright may have married into my fathers family too.Can you scan the photos of susannah into the computer and send them to me?
                        I am now going to try to track down Thomas's parents but I have a feeling he may have been illegitimate!
                        Did you ever find Henrys fathers family?
                        Helen

Comment

Hi,
                          Harriet Wright married Walter Nettleship, and lived in Maltby. The last address I have was the one on the 1901 census, 5 Douglas Street.
                          Ethel Padgett married Ernest Bontoft, the photo I have to send you of Susannah Pawson is with Ethels daughters Pearl and Ruby.
                          I have just this week sent for Thomas's will, he went from farm worker to publican to "gentleman" according to his probate listing...it may shed light on his family.
                          Just as a purely interest point, and one you might be aware of...Henry and Harriets sister Hannah E P Wright had several children, her eldest was Harriet Elizabeth. She married John Hall in 1915, he was killed in WW1...his name is engraved on the memorial in Anstons Lychgate....Ive walked past that so many times never realising my (our) relative was on there!

Comment

Originally posted by hellie View Post
                            Hi Rachie
                            Wow I cant believe how interesting all this is becoming. I wonder what happened to Harriet the sister. I have a feeling Ethel Wright may have married into my fathers family too.Can you scan the photos of susannah into the computer and send them to me?
                            I am now going to try to track down Thomas's parents but I have a feeling he may have been illegitimate!
                            Did you ever find Henrys fathers family?
                            Helen
                            Henrys father...what a complicted story. On his birth cert his given name is Henry Wells, mother susannah Wright formerly Wells, which is crossed out, Pawson. On his marriage cert it says father frederick wells, crossed out, Wright...so Id put two and two together and found a Frederick Wells living in anston at the time. I managed to trace a living relative of Frederick in australia....and oddly they understood the family moved in 1884 (the year Henry was born) from Anston to aus after a scandal involving an affair.

Comment

hi
                              Hannah was my gt grandma and now I do know her story. She married George Arthur Goddard in 1897 and they lived at Quarry cottage Kiveton Park (this still survives it is boarded up next to the pub). Uncle Joe lived in it until his death which I think was about 20-30 years ago. Joe Allen married Violet, daughter of Hannah and I am still close to that bit of the family. my mum still has memories of George and Hannah and my Auntie Reta(Violets daughter) knew them very well. I will try to get hold of a copy of Thomas's birth certificate.
                              John Halls relatives lived in Woodsetts so my mum informs me. I think I went to school with one.
                              Harriet remarried after John died to a man called John Smith, I remember my Aunt Iva, I can get more detail off my mum when she gets back off holiday.
                              X
                              Helen
                              Do you still live in the area?

Comment

hi Rachie
                                I have just sent for Thomas's birth certificate so I should have this by the end of week.
                                H

Comment

hi
                                  Hannah was my gt grandma and now I do know her story. She married George Arthur Goddard in 1897 and they lived at Quarry cottage Kiveton Park (this still survives it is boarded up next to the pub). Uncle Joe lived in it until his death which I think was about 20-30 years ago. Joe Allen married Violet, daughter of Hannah and I am still close to that bit of the family. my mum still has memories of George and Hannah and my Auntie Reta(Violets daughter) knew them very well. I will try to get hold of a copy of Thomas's birth certificate.
                                  John Halls relatives lived in Woodsetts so my mum informs me. I think I went to school with one.
                                  Harriet remarried after John died to a man called John Smith, I remember my Aunt Iva, I can get more detail off my mum when she gets back off holiday.
                                  X
                                  Helen
                                  Do you still live in the area?
                                  Hi Helen,
                                  Photos sent via private message, not sure if you can download them, if not I have sent contact details...I will email them.
                                  I have never lived in the area, but both my parents were from Anston, as were their parents ect...I spent all my school hols visiting relatives in Anston, Dinnington, Harthill and Rampton (village not hospital!) Depending on how old you are you may remember my grandads garage in South Anston, Colin Burgess motor engineer, opposite the pub. Its been gone 30 years or so, to make way for new houses.
                                  My parents were both born on Main St, neighbours and childhood sweethearts. Dad went off to do Nat service in 58 and Mum to train as a nurse. They married in Anston in 61 before moving to Cornwall in 68. I still have some relatives in Anston, but were not in touch, but the majority are now in Anston church yard.
                                  I really hope Thomas' birth cert is the right one, and gives us some clues....not that he would actually be my relative, its intrigued me for so long, and it did Henry...so just knowing I, and my mum, know is good enough. His will could take another 5 weeks to come, but I will let you know its contents....hopefully it will also answer why Susannah and he left Anston for Sheffield.
                                  I dont know Kiveton well to know the pub or quarry cottage, but I will mention it to my dad when I call him tomorrow (my folks retired to France) many of his family lived in Kiveton, long before my time.
                                  Rach x

Comment

hi again Helen,
                                    Perhaps you can work this out, I think I have made a mistake.
                                    Harriet Morris who married Henry Wells Wright was daughter of Thomas Morris and Mary Pawson, Mary Pawson is daughter of William Pawson and Susannah Reynolds...Marys sister is Susannah Pawson..susannah was Henrys mother!..or are they cousins?

Comment

Hi Rachie
                                      I have been looking into the above and I cant find Mary Pawson or her marriage anywhere. She seemed to disappear after 1861!!!!!
                                      I will keep at it.
                                      Also I dont seem to be able to find William and Susannah Pawson on the 1841 census. Did you find them?
                                      Thanks for piccies,
                                      H
                                      Last edited by hellie; 18-10-11, 22:02.

Comment

Hi Rachie
                                        I have been looking into the above and I cant find Mary Pawson or her marriage anywhere. She seemed to disappear after 1861!!!!!
                                        I will keep at it.
                                        Also I dont seem to be able to find William and Susannah Pawson on the 1841 census. Did you find them?
                                        Thanks for piccies,
                                        H
                                        Hi,
                                        William and Susannah are on the census but I found them under a transcription error as William Powcin.
                                        I need to retrace my steps on Mary, as I feel sure I have made an error.
                                        Rach x

Comment

Working...
                                        X