Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you are using IE and get a message "An important choice to make: your Browser"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you are using IE and get a message "An important choice to make: your Browser"

Just to inform the forum that under EEC anti-Compitition law, Microsoft have been forced to inform all users in Europe of its IE Browser that there are other browsers available.
    Microsoft released a Windows Update (KB976002) that contained 'browserchoice' where they've been made to show users 'not in the know' that they can install browsers other than IE.

It puts a large message on your screen on boot-up IT IS NOT A VIRUS/ADWARE ETC so don't panic!
    It is a legal requirement thet the EEC have forced on Microsoft.
    This screen will appear everytime that you load Windows, unless you follow its instructions, but you can force it to stop.
    If you are living in Europe right now and using a computer with a Microsoft operating system, chance is that you are now presented with a program upon system startup that states […]

Important information for Users with earlier versions than IE8:
    You will find that this would have your IE shortcut on the desktop removed until you have followed the steps in the 'browserchoice' update and it forces you to choose which browser you want when you click on OK (Closing the screen does exactly the same!). You will find the only option is IE 8.
    YOU WILL STILL HAVE ACCESS TO IE VIA YOUR START BUTTON

With all the malware/adware etc wh have experienced lately, this is an extremely poor way of conforming to an EEC rule by Microsoft, as the screen looks everyway like a fake adware message.

Trev

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Thank you for this information, Trevor!
    Anne

Comment

Trevor,

Many thanks I will save these notes. I have Google as my main browser and IE 7 still. I hope that I will still be able to access Windows Mail (not Windows Live).

I have just looked at the link that you have put on the site for us. Sorry to be thick but I could not work out at a clance what to click to get rid of this MS problem. Any guidence please?
      Last edited by Margaret N; 28-02-10, 21:57.
      Margaret N
      DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

What a ******* liberty. I had this message at the start of the weekend, so I just closed it. I spotted the icon on my desktop, but thought I'd deal with that later, because I was out for the weekend.

{Background information: I have had IE8 and Firefox installed for a long while, but I installed Norton 2010 on Thursday after my Norton subscription had expired for a while, so I was sensitive to existing software being upset}.

Tonight I came home and tried to open IE8, and wasted half an hour with it repeatedly starting but failing to open. I thought I had a virus problem of some sort.
        Anyway, I used Firefox, and all was well. I found this thread, and now when I try IE8 it works - maybe this Microsoft Malware* sensed that I had Firefox open so it didn't need to block IE8 any more ?

* "Malware, short for malicious software, is software designed to infiltrate or damage a computer system without the owner's informed consent." (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware)
        - seems to me that this is what Microsoft put on my PC.
        Yorkshire names: Brown, Weighell, Hudson, Hartley, Womersley, Laycock, Maude, Atkinson, Whittaker, Hammond, Hutton, Brook, Murgatroyd, Wright, Topham
        Warwickshire name: Hart
        German names: Peltz, Eichborn

Comment

thanks Trevor i thought i had another virus.
          because i am computer thick this now means another journey for the son in law.
          the meercat.

Comment

I am so glad that Trevor started this thread - I wish I had read this before. For days I had dithered over installing this 'update' because once installed it could not be deleted and suddenly over the weekend I discovered that it had been installed (I still have no idea how it happened). I wouldn't have been so bothered if I hadn't tried putting some family cert scans on my memory stick, only to discover that it wouldn't recognise my Removable Disk drive!

Today I used System Restore and went back to a point before the 'Browser' update was installed and the shortcut has disappeared from my desktop. However I won't know whether my memory stick works as my sister took it home with her to check whether there was a problem with it - there wasn't as she could access all my scans and files.

Would I be OK leaving things as they are now or do you think I may have problems in the future? I am not very 'au fait' with computers and dread doing anything I am not familiar with.

Your advise would be much appreciated.

Beverley
            Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

If the short-cut was on your desktop, then it had not installed itself, as you put it.
              The legal requirement for Microsoft was to have their next security update install the question prompt, but that is all that happenes.
              This is then added to your start-up items as a file called BrowserChoice.exe.
              All this does is activate the 'which browser to use' prompt screen.

It would have no effect what so ever on you being able to access the memory stick

Researching:
              FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Working...
              X