Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copying Family Tree Maker to Laptop

Hi,
    I've got FTM 2006 installed on my desktop computer, I've just bought a laptop and wondered if it was possible to install FTM2006 & copy my family tree on to it so that I can use it when not at home? I'm not very computer savvy and not even sure that it's possible to make a copy?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks.

zebz

Yes, just install FTM onto your laptop and then transfer a copy of your family tree file onto a memory stick or similar, and then open it in FTM.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Wendy, thank you for your reply.

As I explained I only have a very basic knowledge of computers etc. Do I 'export' the file to copy it?

Thanks again, I really didn't want to have to put all my family details again but I'm terrified that I could lose everything because I don't know what I'm doing!

zebz
      Last edited by zebz; 27-02-10, 10:26.

Comment

It's easier to copy the file straight to a memory stick and transfer to the laptop (copy the .FTW file if you want to retain photographs and scans of certs etc).

The major drawback is when you open a file from memory stick it is "read only" which means you can open and view the file but not edit it in any way, you would need to remove the "read only" atribute via the properties tab when hovering over the file on your pc. Bear in mind anything you add to the laptop will not automatically transfer to your home pc so you will have to transfer files from one machine to another on a regular basis have the two machines linked to update each other.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

If your new laptop is running Vista or Windows 7, you will need to install an update to make FTM 2006 compatible with the operating system.
          Note that the updates will only make FTM 2006 compatible with a 32-bit computer (and NOT with a 64-bit computer).

See this link for more info:
          Sarah

Comment

Thank you all for your help, it has been invaluable. I have copied the file to a memory stick; my laptop is running Windows 7 so I'll have a look at the link suggested.

Thanks again,
            zebz

Comment

Working...
            X