Hathfield Court - Herefordshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hathfield Court - Herefordshire

I am seeking information concerning Hatfield Court in 1901. The Census shows Jessie Fraser (Head) Housemaid Domestic aged 50 born in Scotland, and Mary Henderson (Servant) Parlourmaid Domestic aged 32 born in Scotland. There is no reference to the owners.
    My Great grandfather, Benjamin Skilling is shown as living at 'The Lodge@ with his wife and three daughters. He is shown as Head and was a Gardener (Not Domestic)He came from Scotland.
    Presumably The Lodge belonged to Hatfield Court. Does it Still exist.
    I know that Hatfield Court belonged to Jeremy Sandford until his death in 2003.
    If anyone can throw any light on who owned Hatfield Court in 1901, (including The Lodge) and what has become of it now, I will be extremely grateful. This information will probably help me to determine why my great grandfather came from Scotland to work here, and why he returned to Scotland before he died.

sorry can't find anything on 1901 but according to Kellys directory of 1913 a Major Arthur Chambers lived there.In 1863 it appears to be one of the homes of John Nicholls esqu.will have a further look.

Comment

Have you tried Google?

Comment

This may be of interest - http://lh.matthewbeckett.com/lh_complete_list.html and you might find something in

Have you contacted http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ukhfhs/index.html Herefordshire local history.....

Comment

Thanks for the information. Google doesn't seem to help much. Most of the information about Hatfield court seems to centre on Jeremy Sandford who died in 2003. I would like to know its history, certainly from about 1850 until 1910. Also 'The Lodge'. This is where my greatgrandparents lived. I wonder if it is still there today. I am visiting the area in a couple of weeks time so will try to find it.

Comment

The local library, especially if they have a local history section, may be helpful

Comment

Working...
            X