Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry v FindmyPast

Hi
    I know this is a question that comes up regularly but could not find seem to come up with any posts when searching, so sorry to ask the question again.

I have had ancestry for a number of years, just the essentials membership but am wondering whether Find my Past may be a better option. My family is largely London/Essex based on both sides. I would appreciate your comments from your experiences.

Many thanks

personally I would recommend Ancestry especially if you want to put your tree on there as the searching and adding records is brilliant and the LMA stuff has saved me hundreds of pounds
    I dont know whether its just me ??? but I only seem to use FMP for census searching mainly.

Comment

Hi Gill.

Like you, a lot of my family are London/Essex. I had Ancestry basic and last year decided to get FMP as well because they have transcriptions of a lot of docklands parishes (plus the 1911 census of course). Then Ancestry added the LMA records so I upgraded to Premium with them. The coverage is better than FMP, so I probably won't be renewing FMP when my subscription expires.

In some ways it's a shame - I like the FMP census address search and I've found the transcriptions to be more accurate, but I can't really justify having both.

Edited to add - Ancestry are planning to add more LMA records too
      Last edited by Lindsay; 26-02-10, 19:42.

Comment

Hi Gill

I have had Ancestry for a few years now and I think it is the best one. I have had FMP for two years now but won't be renewing my subscription. I found it great for the 1911 census and the address search but Ancestry seems to have a lot more records plus I find the site easier to navigate than FMP
        Teresa...

Comment

Working...
        X