Advice re wills, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice re wills, please

I have bought the will of John Rennie from SP, which I can read and interpret reasonably well, for once. I have also downloaded the other part which is the inventory of assets.

I have always thought that John Rennie must have been well-to-do and his will bears out that impression as it speaks of his wife's Marriage Settlement, lands, houses,heritages and real estates, stocks, etc . He leaves his mother a thousand pounds and his wife two thousand pounds over and above her Settlement annuity. There are bequests to his in-laws, cousins and the Kirk.

The Inventory places a value on his personal estate somewhere between 600 and 800 pounds, which does not seem to be the sort of inheritance Rennie envisaged.

Am I correct in thinking there is a difference between personal estate and the lands etc described in his will? I have a vague recollection that Scottish law does not work quite like English law when it comes to inheritance. Where can I find out just what the value of the inheritance would have been? His principal seat seems to have been in Auchinlech.

Beverley

Macbev

Personal estate is your watch, your clothes, your books, your beermat collection etc - in other words, things which were for your personal use and enjoyment and would not be covered under the category of real estate, lands, money, investments etc, so £600 was actually quite a handsome sum.

OC

Comment

Ah, thanks, OC...that is more or less what I had assumed.

But where can I find out about the rest of the inheritance? I had hoped there would be an itemised list of property somewhere.

Beverley

Comment

Perhaps he disposed of the remainder during his lifetime. My g-grandfather's inventory is over 30 pages and lists all the houses he owned and the income from them.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
        X