Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

William Newton - can anyone find him in 1871, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Newton - can anyone find him in 1871, please?

He is not the William with wife Mary; I have checked that.

Perhaps he is in the workhouse in 1871 and his name was omitted in error?

This is what I know about him:

William Newton was christened in Princes Risborough, 17 November 1799.
    He married Hannah Picton in Monks Risborough, 19 April 1824. Hannah was born in Meadle, Monks Risborough 1800. She was the daughter of Edward Picton and Elizabeth Wells.
    Hannah died 5 May 1851 in Summerleys, Princes Risborough. Cause of death: 'Inflammation'. Not Certified', she was age 51, wife of William Newton, Labourer. Her body was interred 10 May 1851 in Princes Risborough.

He married Jane Coles in Princes Risborough Parish Church, 25 October 1856. Jane was born in Middlesex about 1793. Jane died 25 August 1862 in Princes Risborough, at 69 years of age.

William died 8 March 1874 in Wycombe Union Workhouse, Saunderton. Cause of death: 'Cancer in the Face', he was age 75, formerly a Farm Labourer. The informant was James Dancer, in Attendance, of Wycombe Union Workhouse, Saunderton. His body was interred 12 March 1874 in Princes Risborough. Of Wycombe Union, age 75.

1831 census for Princes Risborough Town lists William working in agriculture with two females and two males over twenty in the same house.
    1841 census (mistranscribed as Newborn, not easy to read) Ag. Lab. age 40, wife Hannah, Lace maker, age 40, Abel, Ag. Lab, age 15, Ann, age 10, John, age 10, James, age 5, Samuell, age 3, in the Poorhouse, Saunderton.
    1851 census Agricultural labourer age 51, wife Anna, age 50, Lacemaker, John, age 19, Ag. lab., James, age 17, Ag. lab., Samuel, age 13, Ag. Lab., Anna, age 3, Summerleys, Princes Risborough.
    Marriage certificate (1856) stated residence was 'The Town', he was a widower, a labourer, and his father was Edward Newton, labourer.
    1861 census Agri Labourer, age 61, High Street, Princes Risborough, with second wife Jane age 68 born Midx, London, son James, Agri Labourer, age 25, daughter Fanny age 14.
    He was a labourer, according to his son Samuel's birth certificate, and the marriage certificates of his sons John and James.

William Newton and Hannah Picton had the following children, about all of whom I know quite a lot from census and certificates: Abel, Anne, John, John, James, Samuel and Fanny.
    Joy

Hi Joy

Theres a William Newton which show in the indexes on the FMP website only i'm not subscribed so can't tell you any more, hopefully someone will tell you the details.

Household Newton,William birth year 1800 age 71 Reg district Wycombe Buckinghamshire.

Comment

Hi Joy,

I know you said that the William who married Mary RAY had the wrong father but each census shows only 1 William NEWTON b. PR c, 1800.
      Glen

Comment

Thank you, both.

Yes, the lady at the council said "We have found the marriage entry for William NEWTON/Mary RAY in our register. They were married in Princes Risborough Upper Chapel 1866. Their ages don’t quite match the ones you have given us by about 4 years," and "Sorry to tell you but William NEWTON'S father isn't Edward it's Henry.".

My William's father, Edward, that is, was christened in Ludgershall 15 August 1774, and he died in 1815. His body was interred 25 July 1815. Recorded in the National Burials Index as age 38, buried St Mary, Princes Risborough.

What do you think then? Do you think that for some reason someone put Henry by mistake? and, if so, should I not worry about the slight age discrepancy, knowing that that sort of thing does happen sometimes?

* BRB - have just remembered that before I had word, excel etc, someone sent me parish registers! - couldn't open them then, but I would be able to now :-)

Glen - I would be happy to email them to you.

* they may not be complete, it seems :-)
        Last edited by Joy Dean; 25-02-10, 14:21.
        Joy

Comment

Hi Joy,

I'll have a more careful look at the database next week. Whilst I was waiting in thw Archives for the Electoral Registers for Helen this week, I had a look around & found a personal name index so I'll also check that out for anything of interest.

I think this is one of those situations that with the info. you have there'll always be a little niggling doubt about those facts but at least it hasn't halted your progress.
          Glen

Comment

Thank you very much, Glen. I think that I shall have to make notes in the family tree programme about where he might have been in 1871 and and who and where he might have married until or if ever verified :-)

Let me know if you would like the parish register extracts.
            Joy

Comment

Working...
            X