Atkinson in Bendigo Victoria Aus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atkinson in Bendigo Victoria Aus

Anyone with access to Victorian BDMs? Am trying to establish the antecedents of my Caroline Maude Mary Atkinson, born 12 Feb 1882 Bendigo, believed to be the daughter of John Turner ATKINSON and Kate Roberts SKIDMORE.

However, I have just unearthed the announcement of her wedding in Bendigo to John Henry GOULD 18 Oct 1904, where her mother is said to be Mrs.T.E.TUPPER of Bendigo. Obviously, Caroline's mother remarried...but I can find no trace of Mr Tupper, or the date of his marriage to Caroline's mother.

The Ancestry electoral rolls have a Thomas Tupper in Bendigo in 1903 but the wife appears to be an Emma.

I have been trying to use the Victorian BDM pay site, but it seems to be playing up at the moment and I can get no sense out of it. Would be grateful for any pointers in the right direction.

What I want to know is
    1. when John Atkinson died
    2. when his widow married Mr Tupper

Beverley

might be worth a look here: http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del...r#pstart296825
    The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848-1954)
    Tuesday 5 April 1892

page 5
    Mrs Tupper, wife of a mining manager, from whom she is living apart, was taken to the hospital in an unconscious condition this morning. She had a fall at her lodgings, in the Bendigo Hotel, last night, and it is not yet known whether the fall, poison, or alcohol was the cause of her malady.
    Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's this one (5 March 1925): http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del...22J+H+Gould%22
      GOULD.-On the 8th January, at Frome Billet, Howard road, Bournemouth, England, Emma Charlotte, widow of J. H, Gould.
      and this (24 July 1919) http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del...22J+H+Gould%22
      GOULD.-On the 23rd July, at St. Vincent's Hospi-tal, Edmond Rogers, dearly beloved second son of Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Gould, of Cockatoo, be- loved brother of Jack and Bert, aged 16 years.
      Christine
      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 25-02-10, 12:19.
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks Christine. Emma Charlotte I know about...already have that entry. I saw the entry re Mrs Tupper but intriguing as it is, don't know if she is Caroline's mother or not until I fins a marriage. I don't think the one re Cockatoo is my family.

Beverley

Comment

Well that opened a can of worms!

Finally got into the Victorian BDM site and located a marriage for Kate Roberts Skidmore to Thomas Edward Tupper all right...but far from John Atkinson having died, he divorced her the preceding year.

Off to hunt through the papers now to see if I can find out more. You were right Christine...the new bloke was a mining manager. Did his first wife fall -or was she pushed, poisoned or drunk???? Kate Atkinson was living as a hotel keeper in Bendigo in 1903. Hmmmm.....
          Last edited by Macbev; 25-02-10, 14:25.

Beverley

Comment

Originally posted by Macbev View Post
            Did his first wife fall -or was she pushed, poisoned or drunk???? Kate Atkinson was living as a hotel keeper in Bendigo in 1903. Hmmmm.....
            I was rather tickled by the matter-of-fact style of the newspaper report. Clearly this was normal behaviour for the inhabitants of Bengdigo.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The annoying thing, UJ, is that the papers don't seem to have followed up on the matter. The marriage cert I bought tells me Tommy Tupper was a widower in 1900. Wish I knew if he was the respondent in Kate's divorce....or if it was her hubbie at fault.

Are there divorce findings available in Victoria?

Beverley

Comment

Comment

Thanks for that Mary.

I gather that since Kate was the petitioner, and John Turner Atkinson was the respondent, then technically I can assume he was the 'guilty' party...will have to go away and count my pennies and weigh up the interest level before deciding to invest in the divorce papers.

*wonders where poor Mrs T.Tupper 1st fitted into the equation?*

Beverley

Comment

She went off in a huff and invented plastic boxes.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                      She went off in a huff and invented plastic boxes.
                      And married a Mr Ware!! ;D

Comment

http://www.bencemtrust.com.au/search.asp Have Tupper's etc in this site - Bendigo Cemeteries Trust

Comment

Thanks for the link Naomi. Unfortunately, none of the Tuppers look like my lot, although I've seen them on the electoral rolls.

Originally Posted by Uncle John She went off in a huff and invented plastic boxes.
                          And married a Mr Ware!!
                          Lol, UJ and Naomi :D

Beverley

Comment

Hi. I know quite a bit about
                            Carrie now. She was my great-grandfather's first daughter and one of two children by his first marriage to Kate.

Carrie was named after her grandmother Caroline who died in Melbourne when father John was only a few years old.

Grandma Caroline's father died in England and was named Edward Errington Turner.

John Turner Atkinson changed his name to his mother's maiden name of Turner when he remarried to Edith Bonnefin, possibly due to falling out with his own father who had become a Congregational minister and whose second wife was one who "feared God"". Divorce was obviously not common then. Kate may have remarried twice...

Whilst Carrie and husband John Gould raised their children in WA, her brother Albert Victor returned to Melbourne.

John's daughter Marie Edith Evelyn (Turner) Perry died some years ago. My mother opened a box of papers a month or so back and discovered some wonderful nineteenth century photos of John Atkinson.

I would like to share these and see what else exists with other descendants. I am now Sydney based.

best wishes to all relatives

Jennifer Grant Jary (mother Adrienne (Perry) Grant; grandmother Marie Edith Evelyn (Turner) Perry; great grandfather John Turner Atkinson, great great grandfather Rev Edward George Atkinson)

Comment

Oooh....just had my attention directed to this while I was busy elsewhere, Jennifer. I have photos and info relating to Caroline Maud Mary and am very happy to share....I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours :D

Beverley

Comment

Hi, not sure if you found any information on the divorce between John Turner Atkinson and Kate Roberts Atkinson but I found a 1903 news article which provides some infromation. http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/89492180

Cheers,
                                Ben
                                Last edited by the_moravian; 15-11-12, 14:23.

Comment

Thanks for drawing my attention to this Ben. Much appreciated

Beverley

Comment

I became distracted with life in the 21st century.
                                    John Turner Atkinson and Kate Roberts Skidmore divorced in 1903. They probably both wanted and needed the divorce because they both remarried very quickly. John's father had become a Congregational minister and his step-mother was God-fearing. So I suspect that the divorce separated him from his family thereafter. However, we always knew about Albert Victor so the connections with his first family were not completely broken. People did not know about Carrie, or young Caroline Atkinson, however. She stayed in WA when Victor returned to Melbourne so probably that was why. Did Kate's second husband die soon after and did she remarry, perhaps whilst in Kalgoorlie? More may come to light as the local papers are scanned and added to Trove...good luck everyone.

Comment

just a question, is edith bonnefin connected to alcide jules alexander bonnefin (1848-83) and his wife marie rosine augusta bestel (1853-1920)?

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferGJ View Post
                                        Did Kate's second husband die soon after and did she remarry, perhaps whilst in Kalgoorlie? More may come to light as the local papers are scanned and added to Trove...good luck everyone.
                                        Hi Jennifer. Kate's second husband, Thomas TUPPER died (1905) a year after their marriage in 1904. I don't know what took her to W.A., but she married William WILSON in Boulder in 1908. I don't believe she was visiting her daughter, as Caroline Maud Mary GOULD did not come to this State until 1910/11, as far as I know.

I only picked up on this third marriage through a 25th anniversary wedding advertisement placed in the Western Mail, Thursday 17 October 1929:
                                        "GOULD-ATKINSON.- On October 18 1904 at All Saints Pro-Cathedral, Bendigo, by the very Rev,Dean McCullagh, assisted by Rev.H.B.Hewitt, John Henry, eldest son of the late J.H.Gould, of Bendigo, and grandson of the late Rev.John Gould, rector of Beaconsfield, Bucks, England, to Carrie, only daughter of the late John T. Atkinson, and of Mrs Wilson, Kingswood, England. Present address, Upwey, Cuballing East, Western Australia. English and Eastern States papers please copy."

Neither do I know when Kate went to England, but I think I may have found her death and probate info:WILSON, Kate Roberts of Minford Farm Wotton under Edge Gloucestershire (wife of William Wilson) died 21 January 1932. Probate Bristo; 13 February to the said William Wilson farmer. Effects £213 14s. 8d.

I think I have just identified Kate in Carrie's wedding photo - according to a recently contacted GOULD cousin. Happy to share this with you if you would like it. Naturally, John Turner ATKINSON does not appear....but it is possible you may know some of the bridal attendants, as I don't have positive IDs for them.

Kyle....Marie Augusta Edith BONNEFIN was the eldest child of Jules and Marie Rosine. Apparently the family came from Mauritius, where they were growing sugar...he had a sugar extraction method he hoped to use in Australia.
                                        Last edited by Macbev; 16-11-12, 08:55.

Beverley

Comment

Working...
                                        X