Census Help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census Help please.

Having recently made a breakthrough on a line that hasn't progressed for 8 or 9 years, I now find myself doubting the original connection.

I have found a marriage & need to know the birthplace of the wife.

Hitchin St Mary Herts 11/5/1818 by Banns
    Samuel COALES (Weekley Northants) b. Mary WOOD s.
    Wit: Stephen WHITTAMORE Elizabeth WRIGHT Mary made her mark.

Stephen & Elizabeth married a few months later & remained in Hitchin.

I have a possible sighting in 1841
    HO107; Piece 814; Book: 7; Folio: 26; Page: 7; Line: 12;

And possibly a remarried Samuel in 1861
    Class: RG9; Piece: 956; Folio: 41; Page: 32

I can find no sign of them in 1851.

Any help gratefully received. Thanks.
    Glen

hi,

i've found this 1 for 1841 - Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 814; Book: 7; Civil Parish: St Giles; County: Northamptonshire; Enumeration District: 2; Folio: 26; Page: 7; Line: 12; GSU roll: 438882.

samuel COLES age 45
    mary COLES age 45 born Northamptonshire St Giles.
    robert COLES age 13
    austin COLES age 8
    **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Amy - I think that's the one that Glen has already found.

Looking for Samuel and Mary (surname blank) in Hitchin in 1851 gives a Cook family in Back Street Hitchin. Can't give you the reference because the boy with the noose is around.

Here's the ref: HO107 Piece 1710 Folio 161 Page 14.
      Last edited by Uncle John; 25-02-10, 15:07.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

oh ok.
        **no point asking the living for help as the dead are more helpful!!!**

https://purplerosefamilytree.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
          Amy - I think that's the one that Glen has already found.

Looking for Samuel and Mary (surname blank) in Hitchin in 1851 gives a Cook family in Back Street Hitchin. Can't give you the reference because the boy with the noose is around.

Here's the ref: HO107 Piece 1710 Folio 161 Page 14.
          They are aged 39 and 38 unfortunately.

............ am still searching
          Joy

Comment

Sorry everyone, been away from the computer preparing for my Tennis Fixtures Meeting in about half an hour.

Thanks for looking Amy, UJ & Joy.
            Glen

Comment

So, just looking again, in 1841 they were in Wellington Street Court, St Giles, Northampton, with sons Robert 13 and Austin 8, all born in the county, and Samuel was a shoemaker?

In 1851, transcribed as Coles, Austin was age 18, apprentice, living in brother William's house, Earls Barton, Northamptonshire, William being married, age 33, a shoemaker, born in Leicestershire, surname transcribed as Coates.
              In 1861 he is married, a cordwainer, at 4 Barge Yard, Waltham Holy Cross, Waltham Abbey RG09 Piece: 801 Folio: 27 Page: 47.

In 1851 there is a widowed Mary Coles age 56, Shoe Liner, born Wellingborough at Gibbons Row, Wellingborough, with four unmarried children in the shoe trade HO107 Piece: 1743 Folio: 570 Page: 20.
              She is at the same address in 1861, only transcribed as Gibbins, age 66, Shoe Binder RG09 Piece: 953 Folio: 121 Page: 32.

There is a death registration in free BMD for a Samuel Coles December qr 1847 Northampton district.
              Last edited by Joy Dean; 25-02-10, 20:59.
              Joy

Comment

Hi Joy,

Thanks for your efforts. I'd like to think the Wellingborough born Mary is Samuel's wife & wasn't born in Hitchin as that would keep my theory intact. I'm not sure that they are the same family though. I think Austin's bp is an error in 1851, as it's the place where he's living. In 1861 it's St Giles Northampton which is consistent with the 1841 census. The 1851 children are all born in Wellingboro' & I can't find them in 1841.

I think now that possibly both Samuel & Mary died between 1841 & 51. I'm not even sure if the 1841 Samuel & Mary are the correct couple.

I was intending to go to Northants RO to follow up my new lead - perhaps I'd better go & try to sort this out.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
                Glen

Comment

You're welcome.

Happy hunting :-)
                  Joy

Comment

Coles/Coales family of Northamptonshire are the subject of a book which costs £50 to purchase. The name of the book escapes me for now. I have an interest myself as the Coles/Coales seem to feature in many Northants FH's and the above book also contains many chapters on the name Tebbutt in which I have an interest. I would suggest that a trip to Northants CRO would be very worth your while as you could spend some time with this family in their archives and they may have a copy of the book. If I remember the name of the book I will get back.

Janet

PS This is the name of the Book and I found this on the website below:

"Twelve Generations: Gleanings from the Family Archives" by John Coales. The family had strong connections with many Northants places and many of the villages have entries in the registers to confirm the respectability of the family. The book is an outstanding work of research regarding the Coales family history and maybe you could try locating it in your library or purchasing it from John Coales himself but it is expensive at £50.

The following website might help you with regard to this Coles/Coales family:

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 26-02-10, 19:36.

Comment

It's worth enquiring at your main library to see if they can get a copy on an inter-library loan. It doesn't cost a lot and occasionally libraries are prepared to let quite valuable books out on inter-library loan.
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Janet & Uncle John.

In fact I'm trying not to be related to the COALES. My 4xg-gf William HIDE marries Mary WOOD in Gt Wymondley Herts in 1810. They have 15 children in Hitchin & Mary dies aged 40 in 1831 which fits nicely with a baptism in 1790 in Hitchin. This Mary has parents Thomas WOOD & Ann CLARK nee ROBINS & there I have remained for the past 8 or 9 years. On his marriage in 1783 Thomas was recorded as 'of' Campton Beds & I have a 1784 Settlement Cert. for him from Brixworth Northants to Hitchin Herts. A witness on the Cert. was a Valentine WOOD & Thomas named his 2nd child Valentine but there was nothing on the IGI to support that he was actually born in Brixworth & as he was my one & only Northants connection, I wasn't willing to do a RO visit on the off chance.

Recently via Ancestry trees I have found previous generations of Valentine WOODs & through correspondence have discovered that Thomas could be one of two baptised in Brixworth in 1757. Thomas was a plumber/glazier & the Brixworth WOODs were also glaziers.

I then rediscovered the COALES/WOOD marriage & because of the Northants connection started to doubt if my Mary WOOD was the daughter of Thomas, hence trying to find a census or some other info. which would show her birthplace. A will might prove handy.

I think I shall have to make the trip to try & sort things out. Whilst I was stuck at Mary & possible parents I wasn't too bothered but now there is a chance of going further back I want to be certain that I am following the correct line.
                        Glen

Comment

For what it is worth there is very little of Northants on the IGI. Many Coales of Northants are of Independent Church origin as are so many of Northants residents, and many marriages were by licence, hence the need to get to the CRO to thoroughly check it all out, but maybe in the meatime do try to get the book from your local library. In fact I might try my own local library to see if I can obtain it, as I know that many of my Tebbut families are contained within this book. Good luck in your research.

Janet

Comment

Working...
                          X