X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• old photo from the past australia

hi all
    i have a photo from my mother's things it was taken in forbes nsw aust
    im sure its a studeo pic company name is ....howe forbes'can something like this be traced
    do you think.its in seipea color on cardboard i suppose late late or early 1900
    thank you .....oh am i putting this on the right place
    hotmail

Do you mean the photographer was (someone) Howe in Forbes???? There are a few photographers in Australia with the surname of Howe. Maybe Google and contact one of them.

Or have you tried a FH group in Forbes. They should have a list....or NLA. What are you trying to find exactly??

Comment

Forbes is a large country town with an active historical society which runs the local museum, they have a website and email address.

ooh - The Sands Directory of Sydney and NSW, on ancestry, has a listings for F.Howe, Photographer, Forbes from 1910 through to 1925, just checking further dates.

Di
      Last edited by dicole; 25-02-10, 10:15.
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

old photo from the past

the photo that i have are of a man and women.taken abt 1900 not sure i do not know who it is in those days i thought the person who had taken it may have save his pic at a library .im not that good at putting things on a wall here sorry
        hotmail

Comment

So, did you want to know who the people are, or if it was taken in Forbes ? Or its approx date ?

The first listing in the Sands Directory (street listings, like a phone book before phones), for F Howe photographer in Forbes is 1903 Directory (compiled in 1902) - is this close enough to the date you think the photo was taken ?

I don't think there would be any records to which people had their photos taken, although the Forbes Historical Society might have been lucky enough to have acquired some old photos and records from the photographers studios. Lots of things like that happened in the small country towns. A long established business closing down might have given its records etc over to the local history society or museum, or even just one of the "ladies" of the town who was known to collect historical "stuff" which was later turned into a museum.

Di
          Diane
          Sydney Australia
          Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

photo from the past

YES di that is exactly what i want thanks
            but it is not going to happen i think
            pat

Comment

Hi Pat - If you're not able to ask someone to put the photo up, perhaps you can ask in the Photo Forum if someone can try and identify clothes, hair styles etc for you - if you send the photo to them direct.....that might help in trying to pinpoint who the people are in relation to your tree...

Comment

Reference to F Howe as a professional photographer in 1890:

You might find more if you adopt a more determined approach than I did.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

photo from the past

Hi
                  id like to say a big thank you to
                  do..naomiatt. Christine. For your help
                  well now i know that mr f howe excisted
                  i have the web site address for forbes library
                  ill try and get some thing from them
                  pat hotmail.if i do ill fill you in ok

Comment

Working...
                  X