Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trojan on daughter's notebook

Hi
    my daughter has found she has a trojan or is it a malware on her notebook.She has internet explorer with mcafee anti virus which we pay for! She's tried to get rid of it but can't and now she can't even get onto the internet to download one of the malware programmes. Any idea how to sort this? Also are there still security problems with internet explorer,I think there were last year but assumed they were resolved ?
    Should she be on firefox? I'm worried because I've got internet explorer on the laptop but there again I don't go on anything like facebook but should I get a different browser too?!!

thanks
    Liz

she says she managed to download google chrome while trying to sort it out so wondered if that might mean she can access the anti spyware stuff? Oh dear can you tell I haven't got a clue what I'm talking about!!
    Last edited by congletonian; 24-02-10, 18:05.
    my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Hi Liz,
    If she can get to the internet, try this site

It's a forum where you can post problems and hopefully receive a solution. She will need to follow the instructions carefully and probably download some software such as HijackThis to produce a log of what is on her computer. It has worked for me in the past.

Laurence.

Comment

thanks Laurence

I'll tell her when she gets home in about half an hour. I also read advice given to others on here,sounds like it might be a common problem.Hers is called xp internet security 2010 unregistered version.

Liz

Comment

get her to run her mcaffe and while its running download free malware it worked for me brenda xxx

Comment

xp internet security 2010
          IS the malware I have repeatedly needed to give members advice on.
          It put up a fake warning of infections (in fact it is an infection itself) and advises you to purchase it so it will 'clean' the infections.

Malwarebytes or Superantispyware WILL scan and clean your system of this if you download them.

If xp internet security 2010 has been adjusted by the creator to lock access to these two sites to download it, let me know via PM, as I can upload a copy to my personal space for you to access and so download, thus bypassing the 'block' of the web pages programmed into the software to stop accessing their sites to download it.
          Mcafee will not clean this off your system, you need Malwarebytes or superantispyware for this.

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Basically, xp internet security 2010 is the current Internet 'pest' and I advise everyone who reads this to download and install Malwarebytes or superantivirus so it is on your PC ready to clean if you get this little pest [wants to use stronger language].

For information, its most common method of infection is known as a driveby, which means you visit a web site it has embedded itself into, after a few minutes, it will activate, install the basic application into your PC and then start giving the fake warnings.

I have found the most common sites it has attached to so far are those that you watch videos on, as I have seen 6 attempts for it to instal (I have the full registered version of Antispyware that warns of the attempt), so can stop before it infects, but you need the cleaner, so you can scan and run it as an when needed.

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Many thanks Trevor
              she ran the malwarebytes and thank goodness was able to clear it off .Apparently it was a trojan with a worm attatched happily deleting all her files including i tunes.She's managed to retrieve them though. It's nerve racking and from what you say we should all get malwarebytes on our computers now rather than wait for the axe to fall?!

Many thanks for sharing your knowledge

Liz

Comment

Working...
              X