National archives offering surplus microfilm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National archives offering surplus microfilm

Hi Heather - thanks for this - looks very interesting!

I've just sent this:

I’ve seen this offer and am intrigued…and a have a couple of questions. If I was successful in obtaining a batch of film, could I:

1) Transcribe it and put it on my website at no cost to people?
    2) Offer free lookups to people who were interested?

Batch #10 contains 72 reels.
    Are you able to give a rough estimate of P&P costs within the UK?
    Are these reels of the size I am used to – about 4 inches in diameter?

I'll post any reply which I may receive.
    Kind regards,
    William
    Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Good luck Wulliam,
      looking at the offer they are 35mm film negatives so are about the same size in width as camera film. It does say that they are not for publication so I doubt you would be able to put the info on a website as the info remains copyright of the archives.
      I wouldn't mind batch 17 as I have a lot of Kentish family and the volume would be manageable, but as it's being distributed on a lottery basis I would probably get batch 2 which I couldn't house, or get it in my car on the removal day!
      Life's a journey not a destination.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

Here's the reply:

Thank you for your enquiry.

Yes, you are quite welcome to transcribe and put the information on your website, but you may not post any images or obtain any commercial revenue from the films.

The films are in boxes that are approximately 4" x 4"

Unfortunately we are unable to estimate the cost of postage. Please note that if you are successful there are certain conditions to be met, these are mentioned on our website at: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/news/424.htm

These state that:

'The National Archives is not seeking payment for these films, but successful applicants will meet all costs of removing the films from The National Archives, Kew. The successful applicants must remove the films, by appointment, on Monday 15 March 2010, Monday 22 March 2010, or Monday 29 March 2010.'

I wonder...?
        Kind regards,
        William
        Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Working...
        X