Occupation ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupation ??

Can anybody help me figure out this 1911 occupation please?

If it helps - his previous job was a pit banksman, he lived in Shifnal, Shropshire and his father was a pig iron furnaceman.
    Attached Files

Pawnbroker ?
    Jacky

Comment

Brickworker?

Enumerator code for occupation code shows as 771
      This relates to occupation in this type of work
      771 Brick, Plain Tile, Terra-Cotta - Makers

Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
        Brickworker?

Enumerator code for occupation code shows as 771
        This relates to occupation in this type of work
        771 Brick, Plain Tile, Terra-Cotta - Makers

http://www.1911census.co.uk/content/....aspx?r=24&127
        That's good to know, I never realised those numbers were of any significance. Many thanks.

Comment

There are also birth place codes
          Trace your ancestry and build a family tree by researching extensive birth records, census data, obituaries and more - over 5 billion records - start today!

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Cor, thats handy Trev Certainly looks like brickworker to me.

Comment

Hi Trevor thanks for putting on that link,I never knew what those numbers were for so now I'll go back to all my 1911 downloads and check those codes. Are they only for the 1911 census ?

Thanks
              my avatar is Emily Varndell Andrews,my paternal grandmother born 1891

Comment

Originally posted by GallowayLass View Post
                Can anybody help me figure out this 1911 occupation please?

If it helps - his previous job was a pit banksman, he lived in Shifnal, Shropshire and his father was a pig iron furnaceman.
                Brickworkers lined the furnaces with fire bricks in the smelting of iron etc.
                WillG

Comment

Originally posted by WillG View Post
                  Brickworkers lined the furnaces with fire bricks in the smelting of iron etc.
                  WillG
                  Given the occupation classification, I think it's more likely he was employed making bricks in a brickworks.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

MY family line had involvement with the Iron industry.
                    Normally near the blast furnace was a brickworks to supply the linings that frequently needed replacing.

Researching:

Comment

I've copied those links for occupations and birthplaces Trevor. That's a great help to me, thanks again. As his father was a pig iron furnaceman, the occupation makes perfect sense now.

Comment

Working...
                      X