Grave type info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grave type info

With the help of the City of London Cemetery & Crematorium staff they have just confirmed that my gr gr gr grandparents are at the Cemetery. I truly thank them for finding my past family.

But can anyone help with this query, what does this mean please:
    "2nd Class Common Grave".

I have the plot details.

Thanks in advance
    Tony

I think that the 'class' refers to a particular area in the cemetery, and that the 'common grave' bit was just that, (probably no headstone either.)
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie
      Thanks for getting back and interesting what you have said.

Will be good if the plot can still be located, another visit to a new cemetery I feel is coming on.
      Tony

Comment

That means it is a common grave (one which contains remains of unrelated people) but the type of plot allows the erection of a headstone with, if I remember correctly, up to two lines of inscription for each person (could be up to 4 lines).
        Cheers
        Guy
        Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

I know that in my local cemetery that they have 'class' areas, 'west class' 'east class' etc.. they relate to whether the plot is west/east North/south of the mortuary chapel, I also know that there is a plan of the whole cemetery complete with grave numbers, (though I dont think it gives the actual names of who is in the plot though, but I could be wrong) I do know that in leicestershire they have actual plans with plot numbers and occupants names, but whether this is a 'standard' thing I have no idea.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Guy.
            I am learning something new everyday.
            Fingers crossed that there is an inscription but over time perhaps it has now worn away with the weather.
            Thanks
            Tony

Comment

Every churchyard and cemetery has/had a plot plan showing location and plot owner.
              Unfortunately many of these plans were held only in the heads of the old vergers who have either retired or died.

What is left is often a mishmash of partial information, perhaps a plan showing the presumed location of plots.
              Sometimes a full plan with a register of original owners sometimes a mixture of the two. A plan and register of "modern" plots and only the plan or the register of old plots.
              Cheers
              Guy
              Last edited by Guy; 24-02-10, 06:41. Reason: spelling
              Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Hi Guy and Julie.
                Thanks for getting back and sorry for my delay in replying.
                Interesting comments about this type of grave and I take them on board.

I have just managed to chat to the good folks at The City of London Cemetery and they are saying that this type of burial was typical where families didn't have any money and was a sort of paupers grave buried alongside many others.
                I have the locations of the plots and a very good layout map from the Cemetry folk but they have explained that the areas of my plots are now quiet gardens where all of the stones have been removed.
                So a very worthwhile result as I know where their final resting place is and many miles from their home at St Giles Cripplegate Parish.
                Thanks again all for being most helpful and informative
                Tony

Comment

Originally posted by tglyn View Post
                  So a very worthwhile result as I know where their final resting place is and many miles from their home at St Giles Cripplegate Parish.
                  By the time they died all the cemeteries nearer central London had been closed to new burials and the huge commercial cemeteries such as Highgate and Kensal Green were springing up on what were then greenfield sites.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                  X