Can't find marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find marriage

My grandfather John Quinlan was baptised at St Wilfreds,York on 7th April 1833.

The vicar kindly gave me an extract of the baptism register many years ago (1986) but i still have yet to find the marriage of Johns parents. They were Thomas Quinlan and Bridget Quinlan (nee Quin).

The sponsors present at the baptism ( godparents i presume ?) were William Colbeck and Mary Hunter.

There was no address given either so i don't exactly know when or if they married in the UK or Ireland.

I asked the vicar if they married in the same church but he said their marriages only started in 1837.
    Any ideas would be welcomed.

if their marriages didnt start till 1837, where did folks get married before then? perhaps in a neighbouring church? have you found them on any census? to see where Bridget was born?
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I guess you have seen this?

if thats the same church? it says that before the church there was a chapel house that was hidden from the street, and later another one was built across the road, on the present site, so there should be records somewhere?
      Julie
      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for that link Julie, no i hadn't seen it before.
        So it seems that John was baptised in the chapel which was hidden from the street by its presbytery because of the strong anti-catholic feelings. There might be a record of it somewhere hopefully.

I presume Thomas Quinlan died before 1838 as Bridget remarried (mistranscribed as Bridget Quenslinham) a man called Samuel Dawson in the Dec 1838 qtr in Rotherham,Yorkshire.

They are all together in Silver Street,Sheffield in the 1841 census and their son John is living with them aged 9 years old which tallies nicely. Bridget is 42 yrs old and it states she was born in Ireland.

Comment

Working...
        X