Census Night - 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census Night - 1911

If a baby was born on the night of the census, do you think it's likely that the birth would show in the Census - and if the mother had the child in hospital, again, do you think the mother would be recorded?
    Did hospital staff complete the info if the mother was not able to?

It might be but more than likely the people involved had other things on their minds than to fill in a census schedule.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Have you tried to look for new mum and baby in the 1911?
      WendyP

Comment

I have found a mother and baby in hospital,may have been 1901 though.
        Fran

Comment

Ive actually seen an entry where the baby is shown as 2 hours old, bless.

Comment

What are the instructions given to the householder filling in the details? "Include all persons present at....." blah blah. That should tell you whether a newborn would be included (I think YES, personally - like Heather I have seen babies only hours old included on previous census)

OC

Comment

The hospital should have its own census take as an institution so would expect to see mum and baby on there ( baby depending on what tie born and when and who filled it in)

Have you lost someone? are they not where they are supposed to be?

Comment

my nan had a baby girl in March 1901 but she isnt on the census records for 1901 I have often wondered why ?
                Maybe the baby was born just after the form was filled in ???

Comment

Hi everyone - I'm helping a pal with this...it's her mother and grandmother (both deceased)...just waiting to see if I can mention the names which would make it a bit easier...I might have found the gm and her husband, but not anywhere near the hospital.

Comment

The child was Emma Marie Gladys Butler born in Clapham Maternity Hospital - 31/3/1911 -
                    reg June quarter, 1911 - Butler Emma M G - Lambeth 1d 356 - residence, 20 Dewy St, Clapham....her mother was Maria/Marie/Mary Butler nee Bernstein and her father was Edward Vincent Butler. I've gone round in circles trying to find them. Closest I could see were a Mary Eleanor and Edward Butler in Camberwell, both born 1875 or a Mary Butler, born 1873 District: Portsmouth/County Hampshire. According to info in South Africa, Marie was born Sept 1873, her father was Abraham...Edward Vincent was born in Sept 1867.
                    Mary and Edward married in 1895, St Geo East, Dec quarter.
                    Last edited by naomiatt; 24-02-10, 03:38.

Comment

Hi

I've found the baby for you listed quite simply as Baby Butler under one month born Lambeth shown as been a Patient. Her mother Marie Butler is there also shes shown as age 35 patient married 15 years 1 child born 1 child living birth place shown as Germany with Resident at the side of it nationality wrote as German.

The address is Jeffreys Road Clapham Road SW in the Reg district of Lambeth

The ref for those that are able to look are RG14PN2015 RG78PN71 RD25 SD3 ED9 SN196
                      WendyP

Comment

If you can't find them with the ref's just enter baby butler living in Lambeth its the only hit and both are on same sheet.
                        WendyP

Comment

Well done Wendy!

Comment

Talking of babies in the census.

In Hulme, Manchester, the enumerator received blank return.
                            “Why is it blank?”, he demanded.
                            “Nobody slept in the house.” replied the occupier.
                            “Was the house empty?”
                            “No, but my wife was confined of twins for the third time, about 10 o’clock, and nobody has ever slept since”

Story may be a newspaper reporter's imagination, but it still made me smile.
                            Last edited by keldon; 24-02-10, 09:42.
                            Phil
                            historyhouse.co.uk
                            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Wendy do you want to look for mine?? in 1901 ???

Comment

Hi Val

you can send me a PM with details so we don't clog up this message.
                                WendyP

Comment

Hi - great story Keldon!

Wendy - that's great - thank you - didn't think to look for 'Baby'....I wonder where her husband was..they also had an adopted daughter...
                                  Nellie, Eleanor, Elenor...strange story...the family did move to South Africa, Eleanor supposedly adopted there in Cape Town and born around 1904(she died in Durban, 1940)...but would they have gone to SA, adopted, come back to the UK and then back to SA again..would've taken a bit of money. Edward Vincent Butler was born in Liverpool, his brother was born in Portsmouth...in 1881 -
                                  Edward Vincent bn: Liverpool 13 yrs old
                                  Ernest Butler bn: PORTSMOUTH 12 yrs old
                                  Emma Butler bn: PORTSMOUTH 35 yrs old Schedule #90 Pge 24 Street Add: Margate Road, Canterbury..
                                  In 1911, there is a Mary Butler recorded in Portsmouth, same birth year..but how could she be there if she was in Clapham..
                                  there is also an Eleanor Alice G Butler in Portsmouth, born 1902, and an Emma born 1840...(Edward and Ernest's mother?)..
                                  but still no Edward Vincent...unless he was in South Africa...but then who lived at 6 Dewy Street..

Comment

The child named Alice who you saw as being born 1902 Portsmouth is the daughter of one Albert Edward Butler born 1866 Portsea Hampshire and Mabel E E Butler nee Brown bn circa 1870 Coulton Wiltshire.
                                    WendyP

Comment

the family at the only 6 Dewey street that I can see has a famly going by the names of

John H Holmes bn 1876 Lambeth and his wife of 2 years Florence nee Keatings.
                                      WendyP

Comment

Hi

I may have found them in Lambeth in an institution(probably hospital) I think by the looks of it Clapham came under Lambeth. Because the area i put in the search was Clapham.

BABY
                                        First names Algorithm Exact
                                        Last names BUTLER
                                        Last names Algorithm Exact
                                        Birth Year 1911
                                        County London
                                        District Lambeth
                                        Residence CLAPHAM

this is it

INSTITUTION BUTLER MARIE F 1876 35 Lambeth London
                                        INSTITUTION BUTLER BABY F 1911 0 Lambeth London

to see if it is them you will have to look at the images.(btw: The 1911 census for England and Wales was taken on the night of Sunday 2 April, 1911)

mm

Comment

Working...
                                        X