• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did West Ham leave Essex to become part of Greater London

I want to find the parents' names of 2 possible ancestors:

Ethel Mary Young b Sep qtr 1901 in West Ham
    Hilda Maude Young b Dec qtr 1903 in West Ham

to see if they do indeed form part of the family tree.

Should I be looking in Essex records or London records?

Thanks for your help
    Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

I googled West Ham parish church registers and came up with this:

which suggests that for records purposes it is still seen as Essex, as their registers are deposited at the Essex record Office.

PS if you need a look up I am going in to Chelmsford next week, though the West Ham registration district covers a big area so I might not have any success unless you can narrow down which parish they lived in.
    Judith
    Last edited by JudithM; 22-02-10, 12:21.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Just realised why West Ham registers are at Chelmsford. County records offices also act as Diocesan records offices for the church of England and Chelmsford Diocese is described as "The Church of England in Essex and East London."
      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Hi
        A bit of detective work on the 1911 brings up their birthplace as Wanstead. Parents possibly William & Florence from 1901 census.
        Moggie

Comment

you can see what is available at the ERO by searching their catalogue.
          Go to

Click on "To see what registers we have available click here"
          Then select> W select> West Ham and then the appropriate church.
          Looking at St Thomas as an example they have registers up to .c 1940s
          Phil
          historyhouse.co.uk
          Essex - family and local history.

Comment

I believe West Ham didn't officialy join London from Essex until quite late early 1960's, though those born there before that (including my mother) very much consider themselves Londoners all the same!

Comment

This has been handy info as my oh family lived in West Ham.

Cherrytoo

Comment

West Ham was a local government district in the extreme south west of Essex from 1886 to 1965, forming part of the built-up area of London, although outside the County of London.
                Although West Ham did not become officially part of London until 1965, the borough formed part of London's built-up area, was part of the London postal district and the Metropolitan Police District.
                Joy

Comment

To all the kind souls who responded to my thread - many thanks.

To JudithM

Although the BMD record shows birth registered in West Ham District, I did find some members of the family in St Mary the Virgin, Wanstead Parish Records last time I made it to Chelmsford. Perhaps if you have time next week could you check this parish for me - I would be very grateful.

Many thanks
                  Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

Working...
                  X