Light bulb moment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light bulb moment?

I thought I had one of those light bulb moments last night but now I am not so sure.

I am working on my husbands Uttley's who centre on the Wath upon Dearne, Wentworth and Greasbrough areas of Rotherham. There are a lot of them and all my husbands lot have John as the father - at least four generations!!

I know that that the parents of John Uttley's born 1738 were John Uttley and Martha. However, I have not been able to find a marriage for John and Martha. John had 5 known siblings born to the above parents - Ann born 1736, Bette born 1741, James born 1743 and Willoughby born 1745. Martha died in 1746

In the extended family there are a number of Truelove Uttley's the name of which originated from the marriage of Rebecca Truelove and James Uttley who married in Barnsley 1706. I am now thinking that Martha's surname may have been Willoughby as it is not a common Christian name and is more common as a surname.

Considering that there did seem to be a precedent for naming children by the surname of the mother do you think this theory is worth perusing or am singing in the dark?

Sandra

It is worth looking into,even if you find that it is not her name.Sometimes these hunches pay off,and sometimes they don't.I would have to find out.
    Fran

Comment

It's possible Sandra and anything is worth trying. However, Willoughby is known as a Christian name. A friend that I help with his tree has one or two of them and no sign of any ancestors with the surname Willoughby. Sorry if I've put a dampener on it.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Chrissie

But your Willoughby probably stems from a surname association way back. These unusual "surname first names" are not common first names at the time, when first names would be taken almost exclusively from the bible - anything else would have had some kind of family significance.

I have a line where the first son is named Wade. This tracks back to a marriage in the 1500s, between two locally important families.

OC

Comment

Oh forgive me, but I immediately wondered if you were going to say did they start the Utterly Butterly company *creeps away...............

Comment

Working...
          X