Jesse/Jessie/Jessey - male or female?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesse/Jessie/Jessey - male or female?

I've found a missing baptism - a babe who was born and died between censuses. But is Jesse/ie/ey a boy or a girl?

Anyone have a similar name on their tree?

I have a Jesse on my tree... and he's definitely a man! :D

Comment

I have a Jessie on my tree - female, I have a Jessey, also a female, later spelt Jessie.

Barbara

Comment

Oh dear, looks like Jesse/ie/ey might have to stay as gender unknown! The name's spelt differently on baptism, birth index and death index.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Comment

Did he or she have a middle name?
          If the Jess* is on the census it should say m or f

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Depends how much you want to know but birth certificate will say whether the child was a boy or a girl, the baptism entry should state son or daughter and even the death certificate may say son or daughter of ..... under the occupation column.
            Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

do you want me to check?

seriously - how common is the surname? does the bap not show on the IGI? that usually gives gender
              Jess

Comment

Jesse is a biblical male name. (Father of King David)

Jessie is, generally, a female name.

That's not to say that people don't just spell the name howsoever they fancy and give it to a boy/girl equally randomly!

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The name's Jessie Peel, baptised St James the Great Bethnal Green 1873. There's no indication of sex on the baptism, he/she is missing from the census and there's a matching death in 1875.

I can't really justify sending for the bc - but at least I've got the little one on the tree now.

Comment

I would say thats a girl !! but then who knows .

Comment

I've only ever seen Jessie as a female name. It may have appeared in transcriptions as a male - but that's always been part of an error.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                      X