looking for Grantham with mother price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looking for Grantham with mother price

I am looking for the children of a marriage between Arthur Charles Grantham and mother with maiden name of Price. in Islington 1920
    I have found 4 on FreeBMD in islington between 1920 and 1927, but I know that they had at least 3 more children, but do not have access to Ancestry, who would have these.
    Can any one look them up for me please?

Also, I have not found the actual first name of the mother, as it has Arthur on the marriage record, but no Price?

Thanks
    Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 20-02-10, 14:06.

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Her name was Lilian Adelaide Price.
    PM me if you would like the image.
    Moggie

Comment

I have PM's you Trevor - may be living people
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

If your Arthur Charles is the one born 21/1/1897 he appears to have died in Islington in 1972 ref 5c 1682
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Thanks for the image Moggie.

The Marriage certificate confirms that Arthur Charles Grantham, who married Lilian Price, was born 1897 (Asumed BMD Holborn 1b, 749)
          The marriage certificate gives his father as Arthur FREDERICK Grantham, which is now causing the query, as..................on the 1911 census, as I have access to this via FMP, but cannot find Arthur Charles who married Lillian, nor the father (Arthur Frederick) the certificate gives.
          Can any others do some laterial thinking and find these two??

I have been assuming that Arthur who married Lilian was Arthur Charles, born 1897 in Holborn.

Assumed from the 1901 census, Arthur Charles (aged 4)
          The census ref is: RG13/252 fo 52 p 38
          Arthur C is with his grandmother, Susannah GRANTHAM, 51, widow, b Waltham, Hants, dressmaker, at 20 Collier St London.
          In 1891 census at RG12/227 fo 21 p 35
          Susannah, shows as widowed age 41, is with her older sister, Harriet, & Brother-in-law, Jasper WILKIN. Her son, Arthur, 21 (b Surrey), single, cab driver, is with her.
          (I assume that this arthur dies 1896 in Holborn, as he is not on 1901 census)

1881 census
          Susannah shows as single in the house of Richard Phillips (She is a cook) 27 Leinster Sqr London
          And Arthur is at the home of Susannah's sister (Harriet) and Brother-in-law the WILKINS family (Harriet Grantham married Jasper Wilkins)
          Arthur (10, scholar, b Brixton) is described as Adopted Son: address 13 Winchester Terrace London

In 1871 census at RG10/683 fo 66 p 27
          Is Chas A GRANTHAM (age 10wks b Lambeth) and his mother Susannah GRANTHAM, 21, unmarried, domestic servant, are staying with the WILKINS family.
          BMD have Charles Arthur born March Qtr of 1871 Lamberth, 1d, 517

It all seems to tally, but I need to answer where were the two Arthurs on the 1911 census and who did Arthur Frederick (if that was the correct middle name) marry?

I have told my friend that she will need to purchase certificates, but wondered if we could find them on the 1911 census first?

[My thanks to Christine in Herts for much of the census info I have used]

Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 20-02-10, 19:38.

Researching:
          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Hi - have you found Lilian in 1911 - perhaps doing it that way with the children will show her husband etc - there aren't too many options, so might make it easier in that sense...Arthur Charles might show as Art, Arty or Charlie etc...Arthur Frederick, if alive then, might show the same or as Fred?

Comment

Arthur and Lillian were not married until 1920.
              Her full name was Lilian Amelia Price and I found her on 1911 in Edmonton, but even this has opened yet another puzzle, but not relevant to this thread question.

What I am looking for on the 1911 is an Arthur Charles Grantham born c1897 and his father Arthur Charles/Charles Arthur/Arthur Frederick born c1870

All this is in the London area

Researching:

Comment

Hi Trevor
                Some of the following obviously needs to be proved, see what you think.
                Moggie
                Mary Ann Kent married Arthur Charles Grantham 1893 Qtr 1 Islington.
                Arthur Charles Grantham age 25 died Qtr 4 1896 Holborn.
                Arthur Charles Grantham (son) born Qtr 1 1897 Holborn.

Chrissie’s posting above.
                If your Arthur Charles is the one born 21/1/1897 he appears to have died in Islington in 1972 ref 5c 1682

Mary Ann Grantham (nee Kent) age 25 widow, married George Ezekiel Mays age 27 bachelor Horse keeper on 30th May 1898 Clerkenwell.
                In 1901 George Mays age 28 Horse keeper & wife Mary Ann age 27 were living in Clerkenwell BUT they had 4 children living with them. William age 9, George age 8, Mary A age 5 & Elizabeth age 2. No doubt Elizabeth is their daughter but who do the other 3 belong to given that George was a batchelor when he married? Could they be Mary’s from her marriage to Arthur Grantham?
                You should be able to find George & Mary in 1911 Holborn reg district with some extra children but Arthur (son) not living with them.

Comment

Many thanks for the lead on Mary Ann, I took a quick peek at BMD and found a Mary Ann Grantham born in Holborn 1895, but not William or George.
                  1911 census, George and mary Ann are together and all children are using the surname of Mays, but parents state that they have been married for 17 years (so married 1894 every bit of information is just throwing up more questions, I wish people would tell the truth on census and other forms!).
                  Mary Ann Mays born 1896 in Clerkenwell is with them as a daughter, but no William or George of the age required, they have a 'daughter' called George, but born after their marriage.

What is confusing is that on the marriage certificate for Arthur (born 1897) and Lillian Price, Lilian lists her father as deceased, but Arthur has not, if he had died in 1896, I would have assumed he would have endorced as deceased, the same as his bride did for her father?

I do know that Arthur Charles (1897) was with his grandmother on 1901 census, but in a completely different area to Mary Ann (mother and sister).
                  As he is listed as a ships cook on his mariage cert (1920), I would assume he was at sea when the 1911 census was taken.

Looks like the marriage certificate of Mary Ann Kent and Arthur Charles Grantham 1893 Qtr 1 Islington, that you cited for me will need purchase to check on his father's name and his age at marriage.
                  Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 21-02-10, 19:24. Reason: change content after further checks on information provided

Researching:

Comment

Moggie,

What was the place of birth for William (9) and George (8) on the 1901 census?

Thanks

Researching:

Comment

Hi Trevor
                      All 4 children's birthplaces given as Islington.
                      Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                        Moggie,

What was the place of birth for William (9) and George (8) on the 1901 census?

Thanks
                        Only possible William (c1892) Grantham is William Henry 1892 in Lambeth, so not really the correct area for this group (Holborn/Islington/Pancras)
                        George (c1893) 'could' be this one, as it is in the footprint for this family Edwin George 1893 in Pancras.

Drawn a complete blank looking for them under the surname of Mays.

Same for 1911 census using May and Grantham, not enough information for a definate 'hit', so I'll confine these two individuals to the 'look at these later' box.

Researching:

Comment

Hi Trevor
                          I think this is Edwin George
                          From the 1901 census Edwin G Grantham Age 8 abt 1893, Son of Edwin J & Elizabeth born Holborn, London, England.
                          Moggie

Comment

Yes that's him, which confirms he's the wrong one, as he's still with his parents on 1911 in Croydon

I really think that we have bashed this one to bits and it is now the purchase of certificates stage

Many thanks to all the support and PMs I have received, I will be passing all this to my friend to continue with, as I have enough with my own tree.

Researching:

Comment

Hi Trevor,

Would be great if we could chat or exchange PMs - Lilian was my great grandmother.

From reading the above, think we've reached the same conclusions (wish I'd seen this thread when I was battling through this part of my research last year!) but I'm hoping you may have solved some of the mysteries I've struggled with.

Many thanks,

John

Comment

Hi John

As it was an initial trawl for a friend, I have not followed this any further

I did put it up on Ancestry as a tree, so if you PM me an email address, I can add you as a guest on it

Trev

Researching:

Comment

Working...
                                X