1911 Census Record Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Census Record Query

I have a 1911 census record...next to the place of birth (Column 15) in this case, London Aldgate, is a number
    018 - the other person shows place of birth as London, Brondesbury and a code next to that saying 240.
    Can anyone please tell me what these numbers mean.
    Last edited by naomiatt; 20-02-10, 08:40.

Hi Naomi
    Just looked at one of mine & its got 000 against 2 people born Dalston,115 for 2 people born Walthamstow & 058 for 1 person born Liverpool so these numbers must relate to places i.e enumerators codes.
    Moggie

Comment

Hi Moggie - Thanks - I thought it might provide a further clue to something...not sure what!
      I wonder if there is a list of codes somewhere - that would be useful, especially if there was a discrepancy to resolve.

Comment

could this help?
        Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thank you Trevor that's interesting, it's not something I'd thought about until Naomi brought it up just thought it was some sort of strange counting system for the enumerators :smilee:

Comment

That's great - thanks Trevor. Makes it easier to search now!

Comment

if you look on the 1911 site there are explainations of all the codes

Comment

Originally posted by lisajj View Post
                if you look on the 1911 site there are explainations of all the codes
                Thanks..

Comment

Working...
                X