Navy Allotments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Navy Allotments

I have found a family document dated 1918 called a Navy Allotment payable to a Post Office.
    Am I right in thinking this is a deduction from Navy pay which is 'sent home'?

Next question, the man was 18 and single and the recipient has his surname but was not his Mother or sister or another female relative that i can find. Is my mind in overdrive to think he was supporting a child? or can anyone think of another answer?

This is a close relation but there is no one left to ask.

I have found a birth in the area in 1917 with the same christian name where her surname is the same as her mothers. I will get the certificate just to see.

Isn't this hobby challenging.

Hi Allan - Looks like it was paid to a spouse or dependant..not quite your answer, but Allotments are mentioned in here..

Does seem like it could well be his child..

Comment

Thanks. Any idea whether the original allotment request (which may show to whom, why, relationship etc) would be with his Naval record and obtainable?

Comment

His service record may be available here

If so, you can download it for £3.50. Very unlikely to mention anything of this nature, though. If he got a pension, there MAY be some records. What was his name?
        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

I was very surprised to find a mention of someone asking for support for a child b c1910 ish on an Army record. Also no reason why they shouldn't have married as far as I could see. Would never have known - didn't even know that he was a career soldier. Felt very sorry for the lady as she never married.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Hi Annswabey, I have PMd you the details.

Comment

Working...
            X