IGI question - batch numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IGI question - batch numbers

Is there an easy way to relate a batch number to a film number if its not shown on the same page as the record you are looking at?

Sorry if that sounds complicated!

I have found a baptism I'm interested in - its an Irish one, batch number C011887. It doesn't say "Extracted" OR "Submitted".
    There isn't a call or source number listed, and the actual place of the baptism isn't listed either (it seems to be one of those mixed batches).

compare this with (eg) batch P007421 (Yorkshire, England) where I know the film I need to order if I want to see the original entry is 0897351 (the Source Call No)
    Vicky

I got the impression that the Irish batches are to do with civil registration. Is it a baptism you've got or a birth?

Chrisitne
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Vicky

"C" batches are USUALLY extracted records, but I do remember finding a C batch which wasn't extracted in the normal sense. It appeared to be a privately doen extraction, for want of a better description, one which someone had done themselves and submitted to the LDS. The LDS never refuses any submissions.

If there is absolutely no source given then it is a bit suspect. you could try searching the place name under the Library tab to see what records the LDS hold for that particular place and see if you can work out what it is and where it came from. Hope that makes sense!

OC

Comment

Christine, now you've mentioned it, all the records in this batch are births, all over Ireland, and they are all for the same year. What threw me is that it gives both the father & mother's names.

So, if its taken from the list of civil registrations, how do I find out the numbers I need to order a copy of the certificate?
        Vicky

Comment

OC, the only information I have on this chap is that he was born in Co Mayo! There don't seem to be any films on there that will help (they were RC of course)
          Vicky

Comment

Vicky

Does sound like it's civil registrations then. There are similar Scottish records on the IGI taken from civil records and called extracted, but there is no source (from memory).

OC

Comment

Hi Vicky,
              Is there no description of the records? The ones I've found have descriptions like this:

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.
              Quarterly returns of births in Ireland, 1864-1955, with index to births, 1864-1921 Ireland. General Register Office
              Source Information:
              Batch No.: C701227 Dates: 1864 Source Call No.: 0101086
              Type: Film Printout Call No.: NONE

Information on ordering certificates can be found here: http://www.groireland.ie/faqs.htm
              Order forms can be found here: http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm
              The fees are €10.00 for a certificate or €6.00 for a search and photocopy of an entry in the register.

The Ireland Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958 can be searched on the FamilySearch Record Search site: http://search.labs.familysearch.org/...ails;c=1408347
              Select "Exact, close and partial" match for more results. You can then narrow down by event type on results page (select event from list at top of page).
              The FamilySearch Record Search site isn't loading for me at the moment though, so they may be updating it or performing maintenance.
              Last edited by Cloggie; 19-02-10, 06:42.
              Sarah

Comment

thank you for that info, I think I'll bite the bullet & order a cert. Not sure it will help me locate the parents wedding though!

I tried the LDS Advanced search for Irish marriages & I can't find anything with the same reference number for both parties (even trying different spellings). The nearest is where the page number differs by ONE, but its in the wrong county (Sligo rather than Mayo). Do you think I should chance it? Unfortunately the parents names are fairly common.
                Vicky

Comment

I don't know if I would chance it with the page number differing, but then again it is only by 1 number. Is the parish on the border between the two counties? Apparently Kilmoremoy Parish has townlands in both Sligo and Mayo, and the same might apply to other parishes on the border.
                  More about boundary changes can be found on these sites:
                  Ireland is known for its rich culture, stunning nature and endless history. So I decided to immerse myself in this amazing world, exploring its diversity and making discoveries.

What sort of date would the marriage have been? Remember that Catholic marriages were not included in civil registration until 1864 (non-Catholic marriages from 1845).
                  Last edited by Cloggie; 19-02-10, 12:40.
                  Sarah

Comment

The marriage I am interested in, is 1867 - the child was born in December that year.
                    Mum was born variously between 1848-1850, so I doubt the marriage would be before 1864. I'm not aware of any children before the 1867 one (though of course there could have been....)

Is it possible they had a RC church marriage but it never made civil registration?
                    Vicky

Comment

Yes, anything's possible. Also see these tips: https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Ire..._in_the_Index:

Have you tried the IFHF site at all? Here's a list of the Sligo records covered, so you can check to see if they have the area you're interested in: http://sligo.brsgenealogy.com/generi...5dc628bcf6f2e7

And in case you want to check Mayo as well: http://mayo.brsgenealogy.com/generic...u=showdatabase
                      Last edited by Cloggie; 19-02-10, 14:58.
                      Sarah

Comment

Working...
                      X