Can anyone read what's crossed out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone read what's crossed out?

This is the back of a photo of a WW1 solider.

Mr Petch is my great grandfather, his sister was married to a Baxter.

I can read

Mrs Baxter
    17 ?????? Place
    as copy
    M Wear Mouth (think this is Monkwearmouth)

In 1911 the Baxter's were living at Barclay Street, Monkwearmouth.

Thanks

Jay

Possibly Howick Place
    Elaine

Comment

Heaviely ?

Joy

Comment

At first glance "Heaviely" seems nearer the mark, but closer inspection, shows that there's a middle section which is like a small version of the W in "Wear". I suspect Elaine is correct, but it's not easy to read!

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks ladies.

Elaine I think your right, i've found 17 Howick Place on the 1911 census, sadly occupied by a Coxon family tho.
          Jay

Comment

I've got a reproduction 1895 OS map of central Sunderland. Monkwearmouth is on the north bank of the Wear, to the east of the rail and road bridges. Along the river are a sawmill, brewery and a couple of engineering works and shipyards. Howick Street is the first big east-west road and Howick Place is on the north side between Rendlesham Street and Liddell Terrace. Both of these roads run north into Barclay Street, which is the next east-west road. Most of the houses in Howick Place look a decent size and have back gardens, as do the houses in Barclay Street.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Oooo back gardens they must of been posh having gardens & not just the usual nettie in the backyard!

Thanks for the info UJ.
              Jay

Comment

I got the map on Ebay - didn't pay much for it.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
                X