Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which man did she marry?

Hi All
    If anyone is bored I would appreciate a bit of help. I am trying to find out who Clara King married. I've been trying to pair them up in the 1901 & 1911 census' but not having much luck.
    Thanks Moggie

Marriages in Dec Qtr 1889 Marylebone.
    Harry Blackmore
    George Butterworth
    Clara King
    Ada Louisa Walker

I'll have a look but do you have a date of birth and place of birth for Clara King?

Comment

I have found a George Butterworth and Clara on the 1911 census RG13 Piece 3887 Folio113 Page 44. George is a loom overlooker in a cotton mill born in 1864, Todmorton Lancs. Wife Clara born 1868, Todmorton Lancs and two children Harry and Annie. However I noticed your Clara's marriage was Marylebone.

Ayse

Comment

Hi Ayse
        I am trying to follow 3 different Clara Kings through the census to see if I can prove that one of them is my grandmother. I am 99% certain that my grandparents were never married because he was already married to someone else. So, if I can marry 2 of them off the third one could well be my grandmother. The 3 possibles are 1) Clara born 1869 W Derby 2) Clara born 1871 Heywood Rochdale & 3) Clara born 1872 Ashton Lancs/Cheshire. My grandmother gave her birthplace as Liverpool in 1901 & 1911. It's all very complicated & without a marriage cert I have no idea who her parents were.
        Any help much appreciated
        Moggie

Comment

Just checking I have it OK in my head. Your Grandmother Clara King was born in about 1871 give or take a couple of years. You have already found her on the 1901 and 1911 census saying born in Liverpool. Can you give me the reference nos. for those census so I can have a look at her? Do you have any other info about your Grandmother - what about her partners name and place of birth?

I may have to leave this until tomorrow so i wonder if anyone else can help in the meantime?

Ayse

Comment

If she was telling the truth about her birthplace, it's the West Derby one. West Derby and Toxteth are the 2 registration districts for the central area of Liverpool. The other two are in the outskirts of Manchester.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

There are also 4 births (in Lancs) but going on what Uncle John said, one in West Derby and one in Liverpool itself on free BMD

Ayse

Comment

Hi Ayse & Uncle John
                This is a former thread of mine which gives the details of the 1901 census & outlines what I am looking for. Back then as you will see I didn't have the info from the 1911 census but I do now. Will post these in a minute.
                Moggie

Comment

Details from 1911 census. Address 15 Livingstone Rd Leyton
                  Thomas George Roberts Head age 37 married Wood machinist Born Dalston
                  Clara Agnes Roberts Wife age 32 married 13 years Born Liverpool
                  Gladys Clara Roberts Dau age12 Born Dalston
                  Mabel Lillian Roberts Dau age 10 Born Dalston
                  Violet Gertrude Roberts Dau age 8 (my mother) Born Walthamstow
                  Stanley Arthur Roberts Son age 5 Born Leyton
                  Cecil Thomas Roberts Son age 3 Born Leyton
                  Eric George Roberts Son age 8mths Born Walthamstow

I don't know why but Thomas & Clara's ages are not what you would expect given that they were 36 & 29 respectively back in 1901.

Moggie

Comment

I have a thought for you. I have found a Clara King 19 on the 1891 census living at 29 De Beauvoir Square with her mother Teresa 49 born Dublin, siblings Thomas 24 born Shoreditch and Mary Ann 17 born Leicestershire. This Clara was born Liverpool, Lancs and there is a birth on BMD for her. The reference is piece 190, folio 35, page 64. At this time Thomas Roberts is living round the corner at 19 De Belvoir Road with his family. On balance, I think this is your Clara King. I checked on a modern map for this. Dalston is just to the north east of De Beauvoir Town.

I have found that folk tend to muddy the water when they are up to something. I have some in my family that all took 4 years off their ages so that the baby would look as if it was Mum's rather than her daughter's. They also give different places of birth if they have a mind to.

What do you think?

Comment

I finally saw from your previous thread that you already have this info. Sorry.

Comment

Hi Ayse
                        Please don't apologise I really appreciate your help. Sometimes a fresh pair of eyes are needed to resolve a problem as with my daughter noticing that Thomas Roberts was down as married in the 1891 census & I had missed it completely. I have traced Clara King daughter of Theresa/Tresa/Trisa back to the 1871 census when she was said to be 2 years old so I think Uncle John is right about it being the 1869 birth at W Derby. When I found my grandparents in 1901 & her age was given as 29 I sent for the birth cert of a Clara King born 1872 Liverpool. I think this Clara died at the end of 1872. I found the family at the same address in 1881 & they did have a Clara but she was only 5 years old so I think this was another case of naming a child after one that had died.
                        I received the death cert of Theresa King this morning. She died on 11th Nov 1897 & her death was registered by Clara King of 27 De Beauvoir Sq. They were living at no 29 in 1891. I think I will send for the 1869 birth cert although it still won't prove whether or not she was my grandmother.
                        Moggie

Comment

Working...
                        X