G Grandad in Scots Guards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G Grandad in Scots Guards

I am helping my daughter in law search for her G Grandad Neville W J Grant .

He was in the Scots Guards in WW1 and she seems to think you had to be scottish born to join.

However I can only find a Neville Grant born in Oxfordshire.

Does anyone Know?

June

Hi June,
    Is this Neville's medal roll card?

Katherine

Comment

June,

I cannot state this as fact & maybe the Guards had different rules but in general regiments had men from all over. My Suffolk born gf transferred from the Suffolks to the Royal Scots during WWI & a couple of generations earlier my Suffolk born 2xg-gf joined the Gordon Highlanders.
      Glen

Comment

Yes Katherine

I found his medal card but can't find his service records which would have probably given me clues to where he was born.
        They must have been among the lost ones.

Thanks for your help

June

Comment

Hi June,
          Have you any idea of the year Neville might have been born?

Katherine

Comment

Oakum Picker

I thought that would probably be the case.

How do I search for a birth in Scotland. Can I do a free search anywhere?

June

Comment

Katherine

I think about 1894. He was married in 1918

June

Comment

My Great Great Uncle served in the Scots Guards during the Crimea War and came from Northamptonshire so no you did not have to be Scottish to serve in this regiment. If the records have survived they will be at TNA Kew but bear in mind that about 40% of these records were lost in the blitz so yours could be one of those suvived but may also be one of those that was destroyed. Those First W War records that have survived are on Ancestry.

Janet

Comment

Janet, thank you for answering my question regarding the Scots Guards.

Now I know he didn't have to be born in Scotland.

I've looked on Ancestry for his service records so I think they were among the ones destroyed.

Thanks again Janet

June

Comment

Hi June,
                    I have searched scotlandspeople but nothing coming up. The Oxfordshire birth must be the correct one. 3a 869
                    Looks like he had a sister, Lillier Alice N Grant jul/aug/sep qtr 1890 Oxfordshire. 2c 298

Regards
                    Katherine

Comment

Oh Katherine thank you for doing that. Now I know he was born in Oxfordshire.

I looked on 1901 census and I can only find Merville W J Grant living on the Isle of Wight with his family which I think must be him. No sister Lilier with them though.

My daughter in law said he had a sister named Patricia but I haven't found her yet either.

Thanks again

June

Comment

As he was in a Guards regiment, there may be records of him at the Regimental Headquarters of the Scots Guards at Wellington Barracks in London. The Guards hold their own service records although some have been destroyed. Worth a try though.
                        The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                        Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for your advice annswabey. We'll try that.

June

Comment

Scots Guards

Originally posted by JuneR View Post
                            I am helping my daughter in law search for her G Grandad Neville W J Grant .

He was in the Scots Guards in WW1 and she seems to think you had to be scottish born to join.

However I can only find a Neville Grant born in Oxfordshire.

Does anyone Know? ne
                            My uncle was born in London, became a seaman and joined up in Stirling in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, The Scots Guards also accepted non Scots provided that they met the other requirements.
                            WillG

Comment

Working...
                            X