help please, with ages on census returns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please, with ages on census returns

Sarah Edwards and James Powell married Apr 1856, her age given as 25 so born about 1830-31. She was with her parents on the 1841 census, age 11 so born about 1830.

On the 1861 census James & Sarah and their children, Sarah age 38. The census was in Apr, their third child was born in May, so I know this has to be her but she should be only 31.

Then in 1871 she is 54 (should be 41) and in 1881 she is 64 (should be 51).

James' age on the 3 census returns is 40, 50, 60 - very consistant, although his age on the marriage cert is 30.

Why all the discrepancies in age? Opinion anyone?

My immediate thought is that Sarah died and he married another Sarah!

OC

Comment

are you sure you are looking at the right James and sarah ??? in 1861 what district are they in ???

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
        are you sure you are looking at the right James and sarah ??? in 1861 what district are they in ???
        Fairly sure .. starting with my grandmother, on her birth cert her mother is Harriet Collins nee Powell. Then on the 1891 census Harriet's place of birth is Luton, Beds, age 34. Searched for Powell b 1855-1859 in Bedfordshire - the only Harriet Powell was born 1857 to James Powell and Sarah nee Edwards. Searched the 1861 census for Har* Powel*, father James, mother Sarah, b1857 +/- 2: only one result and that is where Sarah's age is 38. Searched for marriage cert for James and Sarah from 1841-1861 with 2 results. One was in registered in Abergavenny in 1846 and the other in Luton in 1856. I have no idea where Abergavenny is, but a google search told me it was in Wales. I thought the Luton possibility seemed more likely, and the cert confirmed that the marriage was between James and Sarah. Of course the ages don't quite match up to what is on the census. Do you think I went wrong here, should have sent for the Abergavenny cert?
        Last edited by Lynda; 18-02-10, 02:35.

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
          My immediate thought is that Sarah died and he married another Sarah!

OC
          That is what I am afraid of!!

Comment

Working...
          X