Where did they go???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did they go???

I spent yesterday in the GROS search rooms and have ended up with a puzzle - well probably more than one once I finish putting all the info into my programme!!

I was looking at my great-grandmother's siblings.

HENRY HARRISON married ELIZA REILLY on 27 Nov 1846 in Co Cavan IRELAND.

They had 5 children

JANE (My ggm - b abt 1845)
    MARTHA (b abt 1848)
    THOMAS (b abt 1853)
    HUGH (b abt 1854)
    EDWARD (b abt 1859)

They then arrive in DUNDEE after the 1861 census - they are not on it - and have 2 further children

GEORGE b 1863
    WILLIAM b 1865

I have them all on the 1871 census. JANE is boarding with a neighbour and has a 2 year old son HENRY SHAW with her. A 3 year old daughter RACHEL SHAW is with the grandparents. I have the birth certs for these 2 children showing JANE as the mother and JOHN SHAW as the father. A marriage date is given but I cannot find it in Scotland and I suspect they married in Ireland.
    JANE never acknowledges this marriage.

JANE marries twice more, to my g grandfather WILLIAM LAWSON and after his death to PETER LOWNIE.

The puzzle came when I was tracking down marriage details for her siblings, in particular Martha, Hugh and Edward.

EDWARD was the last to marry, in Feb 1881. HUGH was a witness and MARTHA witnessed the mark of the bride.

On the 1881 census there is no sign of Martha and her husband, nor of Edward. Edward's wife is shown as being with her mother, recorded as married but still under her maiden name.

So where did they go?? The census is April isn't it? In the six week period between Edward's marriage and the census they have disappeared. None of them appear on any subsequent census, nor is there any other life event that I have found so far.

In a further twist Hugh and his wife and family are not on the 1891 or 1901 census. Neither is Jane and her son from her marriage to Peter Lownie.(Peter died 1887).

That son, ALEXANDER, was married in Dundee in 1906, his mother was recorded as deceased. But I have her death certificate in 1932 in Dundee and my father and his siblings knew her.

Again, where did they go?

My gut feeling is Ireland, but I'm not sure how I can prove it.

Any ideas anyone?
    Sheila

Taking a pause from tripping the light fantastic.
Working...
X