Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Low Allotments, Northumberland where is it ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Allotments, Northumberland where is it ?

He is on the 1871 and 1881 census as born in Low Allotment, Northumberland... I am unable to find him after 1881 but if he was then the head of the household may be he referred to his place of birth by a village or town in Northumberland..

I have googled but can find nothing about Low Allotments.
    Does anyone know where it is or was ?

Have you found his birth registration in the BMDs - the registration district might give you some idea of where to start searching.
    Elaine

Comment

Are you referring to George Taylor, b c1865, son of George & Martha?
      Elaine

Comment

Yes that is the one, but I have not found the birth registration but a few in Northumberland could fit
        Last edited by colin taylor; 17-02-10, 15:49.

Comment

I think this may be of interest: http://listsearches.rootsweb.com/th/...-01/1043211384
          Shire Moor is actually only a few miles from me - perhaps 10?

This might also be relevant - although I think not so likely:
          1817, November 26. Will of Francis Longstaff of High Westgate, Stanhope, yeoman. To his so-in-law, James Kilvington, of Seaton Sluice, Northumberland, officer of excise, and his daughter, Mary Langstaff, all his Customary Freehold Estate, called Chester House, in the parish of Stanhope, viz., a messuage with outhouses, four meadow fields, also the Low Allotment, lately set out to him, upon Middlehope Fell, containing 22 acres of which Charles Maddison is now tenant, subject to the payment of an annuity of £10 to his wife Jane Longstaff. To his friends Joseph Maddison, of Chester House, Stanhope, yeoman and John Snowden of Alston, in Co. Cumberland, mason, his customary Freehold Estate at High Westgate, consisting of a messuage and outhouses, two meadow fields, an allotment, lately set out to him on Westgate Height of 21 acres, also the High Allotment on Middlehope Fell,
          from http://homepage.ntlworld.com/carole....Jappendix2.htm
          Last edited by wulliam; 17-02-10, 15:53.
          Kind regards,
          William
          Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

Originally posted by colin taylor View Post
            Yes that is the one, but I have not found the birth registration but a few in Northumberland could fit
            Umm - not an easy one to find either. Strange that one child was born in Northumberland and the rest in Cheshire.
            Have you managed to trace George and Martha back to see if they had any relatives that lived in Northumberland around that time?

It's a bit like looking for a needle in a haystack!
            Elaine

Comment

Taylor is a very difficult name to research... but I have found that the Taylors were a family of miners born in Cheshie and a few of them went to Northumbeerland and Durham to continue mining.. I have read of problems with contracts in the mines there and may be that was why several of them returned to Lancashire and Cheshire.

A needle in a haystack is correct.. there is no saying that he was alive in 1881 but there are quite a few George Taylors so that is a waste of time.
              I was just hoping that Low Allotments might mean something to those up north

Comment

Thanks Wulliam,
                That looks like the place but now gone... just a mining village called Allotments.. some other Taylors that went had children born in Longbenton and Tudhoe but I have found these on later censuses

Comment

Hi Colin

My family is also George Taylor of Low Allotments Northumberland - if you go on Ancestry.com and look up the McDermott family tree it will show you quite a bit of the Taylor / Powell family - i am the great great granddaughter of George and Martha Taylor my Grandmother was Annie Powell her mother was Mary Powell nee Taylor - what is your connection Colin

Chris Bent

Comment

Working...
                  X