Open Office- Kaspersky says "very dangerous vulnerabilities"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Office- Kaspersky says "very dangerous vulnerabilities"

Since my credit card was used the other day I am feeling very nervouse about the net which is a nuisance as I love my browsing But I have for some time ignored it when my Kaspersky tells me that there are "very dangerous" vulnerabilities in the Open Office program I have. I thought it was just being a bit over the top. But now, well Im am concerned. Kaspersky says to update to the 3.2 version of open office - I have tried to download this but it keeps saying installation failed. I only need a Word compatible word processor. Can anyone advise please.

'Vulnerabilities 'are really where it has known security problems, such as letting macros run etc, so your AV provider is advising that you update to the latest version, which will have these problems patched.
    It is no different to Microsoft Office and its MANY problems, but the difference is that MS Office has automatic security updates when there problems are known, while Open Office does not have this function. (As far as I'm aware).

Have you tried to completely uninstall open office, then download and install the latest version?

Open Office 3.2 Vulnerabilities fix information is here
    Not only is OpenOffice 3.2 faster and more stable, it is also more secure. As promised, the OpenOffice development team has now published details on the vulnerabilities fixed by the latest version

So your AV supplier is advising you on an update, not insisting it is done, though I'd advise you do.
    Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 17-02-10, 14:12. Reason: added information link

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks again Trevor. I had removed all the old OO program but then I did a search thing and there seemed to be quite f ew bits left. Deleted them, reinstalled and its working Very grateful.

Comment

Working...
      X