Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switching e-mail and Internet Service Providers - keeping old e-mails.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching e-mail and Internet Service Providers - keeping old e-mails.....

Good afternoon to you all.

In a few weeks, I'll have sold my house, moved to my future-wife-to-be's and then hopefully we'll buy a new place together very soon after that.

So...........

At present I'm using AOL at my home address.

My future-wife-to-be uses something else !

How do I ensure that I 'keep' all the AOL e-mails I presently have ?

Obviously over time, we'll have a new ISP at our new house, and I'm not sure if we'll stay with AOL.

Looking forward to some thoughts and idea's from you all...................

Maybe someone else has gone through the process which I'm about to ?

Thanks

If you use a web based email (so messages are not downloading to your PC), then move providers, you will lose the messages, as you will not have access to that server any longer.

If you are using MS Office, you can set up your email details in Outlook and it will download to your PC the web based messages, so you will then not lose them.

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Before I closed my Yahoo email address I sent the mail that I wanted to keep to another online email - my Gmail address -for storage there. It was also a useful way to cull messages that I didn't really need to keep.

Comment

Is there a quick way to copy these emails or can I select ALL and send them to my external drive.

Or do I have to open each and everyone and 'copy and paste' either straight into word or an email to myself at another address.

Do the titles need to be open to send the whole content of the message or does it happen automatically.
        Margaret N
        DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Simon

You can access your aol emails from any other provider (with the possible exception, according to my daughter, of TalkTalk) via any browser. I think you still have to have an aol account though, not sure on that one. You can set up a free aol mail account but whether you can transfer your old emails to it is another matter. Try Googling aol mail when you're not signed in to your aol account and see what you can come up with.
          My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

Originally posted by LangleyValeSue View Post
            Simon

You can access your aol emails from any other provider (with the possible exception, according to my daughter, of TalkTalk) via any browser. I think you still have to have an aol account though, not sure on that one. You can set up a free aol mail account but whether you can transfer your old emails to it is another matter. Try Googling aol mail when you're not signed in to your aol account and see what you can come up with.
            That's the point Val, simon will need to keep the AoL account subscription to continue accessing these emails and I use TalkTalk with no problem in accessing any other provider emails, AOL included, it's just a matter of setting up an email client on your PC and then using the correct POP and SMTP settings.

Simon, if you are using Windows, you should have the client of Outlook Express that you could do this with.
            You need to do is set up the AoL information in Outlook Express

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thank you to you all. All points noted.

I wanted to ask now, so I can try things out and see what happens.

I believe that actually AOL won't be the ISP for me and the future 'Mrs'. I'm just really keen to have access to the OLD e-mails.

I'll probably set up a 'new' e-mail addy, and then use this for the future.

Any idea's on which e-mail is the best ? I just want something that has a reasonable high storage. That's cos I have plenty of old e-mails with Family History details on.......so chances are that I'll still get a fair few e-mails for FH in the future.

Comment

Simon, I use Gmail as my preferred online email address. Storage capacity is good -apparently I currently have 7425MB storage available !!! Some things I store on my computer HD as well as GMail.
                It has a good spam filter and is user friendly. You can turn off some of the frilly bits like the new Buzz.

Margaret, it was a while ago that I did it but I think I just forwarded the messages to my other email.
                Last edited by Sunny Kate; 20-02-10, 04:05.

Comment

Sunny Kate,

Thank you, I remembered that I have my GMail sent to my other address where they are stored on PC. Imagine my surprise when I opened Windows Mail to take a look. It is months since I opened Windows Mail anyway I was able to identify the ones I wanted to keep quickly.

I like GMail but worry about it being so invasive. I sometimes feel that Google is taking me over but I expect that it is the same for all providers.

Cheers,
                  Margaret N
                  DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Working...
                  X