1911 Census?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 Census?

Do you think that there were some addresses that just weren't done in 1911, or is it just that some have got missed off by FMP? I have been searching for a family for ages and have tried every trick I know, but they just don't seem to be there. I even know the 2 addresses that they should be living at one or the other. But when you bring up a road or st it doesn't seem to list the number, just dozens of the street address. Do they expect you to view every address :(
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Yes I have had that problem with looking at street names as well. Sometimes the numbers of the houses aren't shown. But sometimes you can work them out.

Or you can look at the enumerators list which will show a lot on the same street.

Comment

I believe that the keyword indexing is sometimes a bit odd, and of course some people filled in the form a bit oddly, so starting with the county, then town and so on may produce the right family.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thank you Maggie and John I can't believe that they haven't listed the house numbers - what a cheek :D I will try both of your suggestions though - thanks again

Comment

I'm a bit bored with mine tonight Chrissie, if you would like to give me one of the names to have a go at

Comment

It's very sweet of you to offer Val but I don't think you will have much luck. I have tried on and off every since the 1911 became available. If you do fancy a look though - this is them in 1901 Class: RG13; Piece: 3193; Folio: 108; Page: 31. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...try&h=18813511

William Foster b 1868 Bleasby Notts
            Clementine Foster (nee Holland) b 1876 Bleasby
            Mabel b 1898
            Winifred b 1899
            Violet b 1901 All Bleasby

Then 1903 William Ernest born 1 Church Lane Moorgreen Notts (which seems to come under Greasley) It was a farm
            There were also born 2 girls - Hilda and Cecily and 2 boys Francis and Eric
            I think they should all be on the 1911.
            They should either be living at 1, Church Lane as above or may have moved by then to 81 Main Street Newthorpe (which may also come under Greasley)
            All Nottinghamshire and both farms - he was a farmer.

Comment

not promising but sometimes its nice to have a break from your own

Comment

Thank you Val - I appreciate you looking
                I'm afraid I have to go as hubby has a stinking cold and wants an early night. So not being rude if I don't answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                  Do you think that there were some addresses that just weren't done in 1911, or is it just that some have got missed off by FMP? I have been searching for a family for ages and have tried every trick I know, but they just don't seem to be there. I even know the 2 addresses that they should be living at one or the other. But when you bring up a road or st it doesn't seem to list the number, just dozens of the street address. Do they expect you to view every address :(

I have done just that Chrissie, checking one road that gave 247 results! lol;D
                  Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

well sorry Chrissie but I give up, good luck

Comment

maybe she was a suffragette? or they were missed? maybe mislaid papers?

Comment

Thank you for trying Val
                        And thank you Viv and Kyle I've only got credits Viv, not a subscription. so dozens of addresses is a no no I'm afraid :D

Comment

Have you tried searching the "official 1911" site? It is much better than FMP. I have had a quick go, but not found anything, but I'm no expert. I did notice that Greasley doesn't seem to be part of the address, so you may be able to identify what was used then, as parishes etc. did change sometimes.

Comment

Thanks Trina I will try that.

Comment

Originally posted by Trina View Post
                              Have you tried searching the "official 1911" site? It is much better than FMP.

I agree with you Trina & I've complained to FMP about it to no avail.
                              It doesn't make sense being as FMP run the 1911 census but they insist they have to run the onsite one the same as their other census & you can't buy a sub to the 1911.
                              I've complained via the site & I've sent PMs on here to Ian Tester who is the marketing manager.
                              I just get a standard reply from the office & Ian has never replied which is disapointing as we were on ajacent stands at a FH fair a couple of years ago, chatted quite a bit & I thought they were very nice people. Trouble is like GR as it got bigger the service declined, it's all about money now.
                              Last edited by Vivienne; 17-02-10, 11:29.
                              Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

I thought I was mad because I too find the official 1911 census site much easier to search I get lots more hits than on FMP ?? makes you wonder whats wrong ? I did email them and got a stupid reply .

Comment

Oh I've just realised that I misunderstood. It is the 1911 site that I searched - not FMP :o

Comment

I've tried on both sites, but no luck. (Only on the names so far) Seems unlikely that the whole family could be absent from a farm doesn't it! They could have had their surname wildly mistranscribed which is why you are looking at the addresses I guess.
                                    Will try looking at the addresses a bit later

Comment

Thank you so much for trying Trina. Yes, I could understand the odd one being missing but not a whole family. I have searched with first name only in Nottinghamshire as well, that's why I thought perhaps it hadn't been transcribed or had somehow got missed off FMP/1911.

Comment

I think you can rule out Main Street - there were 58 households there and none match your lot even remotely! The majority are miners, with a boot maker and a 3 or 4 farmers, but certainly not yours.

Comment

Working...
                                        X