Lydia Bates /Macbeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lydia Bates /Macbeth

I wonder if anyone out there is related to Robert Walker Macbeth scottish artist ha married my great aunt Lydia Esther Bates 9th Aug 1887 . I understand he painted a potrait of her as did another artist who's name I cannot remember.I was told she had red hair as did my mum (Lydia Elizabth Bates/Gregory have tried to find out but know luck. As I cannot comfirm this it may not be true. Joy

I can't help you directly, but a bit of googling might give a chance to find a possible route:
    e.g. http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/colle...th,372,AR.html
    (Artist of the Month - August 2008 )

Some galleries have images of paintings in their collections.

Christine

PS -
    This portrait drawing (above) is by Hubert von Herkomer
    , referring to an image on the page... Hubert von Herkomer is a prime focus of the collection at Bushey Museum http://www.busheymuseum.org/
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 16-02-10, 14:53.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I noticed this, too:

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks very much I gave tried some of the galleries and they idnt even answer me!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bates View Post
          Thanks very much I gave tried some of the galleries and they idnt even answer me!!!!
          How very rude!

Christine

Comment

helpers

all i can so to you people is this ...you are very good and kind.for all the help you do for us folks
            and you seem genuine.keep up the good work but...im sure everyone knows that bless you all
            hotmail

Comment

I think I can help you on this. Macbeth was a fine artist but there is as yet no biography or monograph. A good place to begin would be Christopher Wood's Dictionary of Victorian Painters. The best information regarding your great aunt might be the memoirs of an artist friend of the Macbeths, George Percy Jacomb-Hood. The book is called With Brush and Pencil, John Murray 1925. The Macbeths lived next door to Hood in Tite Street, Chelsea; in "Tower House" (it is still there) which they shared with James McNeill Whistler. Hood devotes a couple of pages to your relation, who he describes as beautiful and elegant. Their daughter, also called Lydia, moved to the USA in the 1920's and became a minor Hollywood actress under the name "Lydia Bilbrook." I believe there are two portraits of the two Lydias viewable on the internet. One is by Macbeth and is here:

The other is by Jacomb-Hood and is here

The Jacomb-Hood book is quite expensive to buy, but is in many libraries. I would be happy to send you scanned pages through this website if you like.

I am interested in Jacomb-Hood, and would be grateful for any information you have gleaned about Lydia Macbeth or Lydia Bilbrook.

Comment

Originally posted by Rblake View Post
                I think I can help you on this. Macbeth was a fine artist but there is as yet no biography or monograph. A good place to begin would be Christopher Wood's Dictionary of Victorian Painters. The best information regarding your great aunt might be the memoirs of an artist friend of the Macbeths, George Percy Jacomb-Hood. The book is called With Brush and Pencil, John Murray 1925. The Macbeths lived next door to Hood in Tite Street, Chelsea; in "Tower House" (it is still there) which they shared with James McNeill Whistler. Hood devotes a couple of pages to your relation, who he describes as beautiful and elegant. Their daughter, also called Lydia, moved to the USA in the 1920's and became a minor Hollywood actress under the name "Lydia Bilbrook." I believe there are two portraits of the two Lydias viewable on the internet. One is by Macbeth and is here:

The other is by Jacomb-Hood and is here

The Jacomb-Hood book is quite expensive to buy, but is in many libraries. I would be happy to send you scanned pages through this website if you like.

I am interested in Jacomb-Hood, and would be grateful for any information you have gleaned about Lydia Macbeth or Lydia Bilbrook.
                Rblake,

I also have an interest in Robert Walker MacBeth. I have done a lengthy Geneology including Bith Records from ancient times through Scotland Online and have managed to get back to about 1600 on paper. The name is closely related to the Beatty name and through my own DNA testing I have found that I am closely related to the Beatty's of The Argyleshire area. I have had my DNA tested to 67 markers and although my surname is different my closest relations so far are the Beatty's. I am also a collector of Mr. MacBeths etchings.

I you could send me the relevent sections I would apprteciate it.

Thanks in advance if it is possible

Sparky

Comment

Hi i have been reserching an etching ( a rainy day ) robert walker macbeth which i have owned for 25 yrs
                  it measures approx 10 x 6 sighned frederick walker bottom right and a small signiture to the left, named a rainy day
                  to the bottom left. Reading your post i see you are a collector i would appreciate any information kind regards jim.

Ps it is no 31
                  Last edited by MORI1450; 17-08-10, 16:58.

Comment

"A Rainy Day"

The best information is already published on the net, a couple of the sites are:

"Macbeth was a painter and illustrator of pastoral landscapes and rustic genre scenes in the tradition begun by George Hemming Mason and Fred Walker. He was also a distinguished print maker who produced fine reproductions and etchings, as well as original work. He was born in Edinburgh, the son of a portrait painter, but read his art education in London where he began his career as an illustrator for the Graphic. He began to exhibit at the Royal Academy in 1873 and regularly showed work in all the major London exhibitions including the Old and New Watercolour Societies, the Grosvenor, New and Dudley Galleries, The Royal Institute of Oil Painters, The Royal Society of Portrait Painters, and the Royal Society of Portrait Etchers. In the Royal Academy he regularly showed etchings after Walker, Mason and Pinwell. He produced one etching after Burne-Jones (the `Chant D'Amour'), but Burne-Jones felt that Macbeth's style was to strong for his work and better suited to rustic subjects.

Macbeth's most ambitious paintings date from the 1870's and 80's and are large panoramic canvases of rural labour, `The Harvest Moon' was therefore a natural subject for Macbeth to choose to engrave. Macbeth became a member in many of the artistic societies at which he exhibited, including the Royal Watercolour Society (Associate 1871, member 1901), the Royal Society of Painter Etchers (1880), the Royal Institute (1882) and the Royal Institute of Oil Painters (1883). He was elected Associated Royal Academician in 1883 and Royal Academician in 1903. There is no modern study of the artist."
                    http://www.leicestergalleries.com/art-and-antiques/detail/13354

Comment

The etching was published by E E Leggatt, London in 1887. It reproduces a watercolour by Frederick Walker (1840-1875) now in the Victoria and Albert Museum, London. Macbeth and Walker were friends.

Comment

Working...
                      X