Will his birth certificate help ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will his birth certificate help ?

I am trying to progress my MARTIN ancestors further !

Great-great grandfather ROBERT MARTIN was born in 1840/1 and registered in the Mar Q of 1841 at Brighton (7 281).

I know (or am fairly sure) from the censuses and marriage certificate, that his mother was Elizabeth, a widow in 1851, and his father was William MARTIN, a carpenter. William died before the 1851 census, and was a deceased carpenter on Robert's 1859 marriage certificate.
    (1841 census - Class: HO107; Piece 1121; Enumeration District: 14; Folio: 30; Page: 14)
    (1851 - Class: HO107; Piece: 1645; Folio: 560; Page: 35)

Will there be any more helpful information on Robert's birth certificate ?

Robert had a brother William born about 1838/39, who also died before 1851. I cannot find a birth reg for William or baptisms for William and Robert (or James), most likely to be at St Nicholas, nor a marriage for William and Elizabeth - there is one for 1832, but think thats too long before Williams birth - unless another couple of children died before 1841 !

There are six death registations for William Martins in Brighton between the 1841 and 1851 census. And four Elizabeth Martins between 1851-61. Should I just take a stab in the dark and hope for the best with each one ? What information could I suggest as a checkpoint ?

Di
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

The birth certificate should provide his mother's maiden name, which would then help you in identifying the correct marriage for his parents.
    Sarah

Comment

Thanks Sarah, I was not sure if English birth certificates gave the mothers maiden name.
      Diane
      Sydney Australia

Comment

They do (unless the birth was illegitimate and the father's name not registered). :smilee:
        Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by dicole View Post
          Thanks Sarah, I was not sure if English birth certificates gave the mothers maiden name.
          I think you'll find that there are examples of UK certificates (or the info given) in the Wiki.

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I found the Wiki page - well I will send off to the GRO with fingers crossed. I might chance my luck with a death certificate for William as well, there's a 1 in 3 chance one will be mine. Eannie, Meanie, mine-ie, mo !
            Diane
            Sydney Australia

Comment

Just reporting having received the birth certificate for Robert Martin, it does have his mothers maiden name - a totally new name for me to research !!
              Robert Martin, born 21 Jan 1841 at 30 Hanover St Brighthelmstone (same address as 1841 census), father William Martin, Carpenter, mother Elizabeth nee Berwick.
              Thanks everyone

Diane
              Diane
              Sydney Australia

Comment

Working...
              X