Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I knew as soon as I cancelled Ancestry....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I knew as soon as I cancelled Ancestry....

that I would need it, but I really can't afford another sub just yet.

I'm looking for a mystery man who SHOULD be on the Qld electoral roll.

Charles William Stuart STANLEY born 1890 Qld. He enlisted for WW1 in 1914.

His parents were supposed to be William and Ann Stanley and Charles had a brother Arthur.

Now we have evrything on Charles and Arthur from the time they enlisted till when they died, but cannot find any births or their parents' marriage.

We got the William and Ann from Charles' marriage cert.

Any help would be great.

If anyone finds any ARIELL (note double L) anywhere near the Stanleys that would be better still.

Hi Libby,

Where was Charles born?

Sandra

Comment

Hi Libby

I cannot see any Charles William Stuart Stanley, there is one Charles William Henry Stanley in Charleville. Theres a couple of William Charles Stanley and a few Charles Stanley. Got any ideas of area they would be in 1913 ? That seems to be the main one coming up in Queensland

Di
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Originally posted by Sherbertrose View Post
        Hi Libby,

Where was Charles born?

Sandra
        He's not listed in the Qld birth index

Di
        Diane
        Sydney Australia

Comment

At least we're not going mad.....lol

He was supposed to be born in Toowoomba Qld. I couldn't find him anywhere. He enlisted in WW1 from Mt Morgan Qld. Know nothing about him prior to WW1 as the info he gave, we can't prove.

Comment

I can't even find his WW1 records on AWM or NAA, still looking at the Electoral Rolls too
            Diane
            Sydney Australia

Comment

I just had a look as well and can't find them, but his grand daughter has them. I might have to make a detour on the weekend and get them.

We also have a stack of letters he wrote during WW1.

I can't work it out.

Comment

Don't you hate it when you cannot find something you know should be there !! Maybe he enlisted under an alias ?

Di
                Diane
                Sydney Australia

Comment

This is him

under just Charles Stanley cousin of John Ariell.

Now that is all odd. That says he enlisted in Vic. and the fellow above him enlisted from Mt Morgan.

And

The fellow "Smale" below him was the fellow who's family he wrote to many times.

I've got to go to bed......these painkillers for my shoulder are kicking in.

Thanks.....

Comment

I will have a bit more of a look, then I am off to bed too.
                    Di
                    Diane
                    Sydney Australia

Comment

Found his NAA record for WW1 (put Charles Stanley 793) - says there born in Middle Ridge,Toowoomba - discharged in England to Timber Supply Dept.
                      But the AWM nominal roll shows that the Charles Stanley with no 793 "died" 28.7.17 but that can't be right if he married ? Cant see him near Toowoomba before WW1, but there's some stray Charles Stanleys in north Queensland. There's also a John Inglis Ariell in Queensland before WW1, who also seems to be in Camberwell after the War.

Why does Arthur Stanley have the same service no (794) as Smale ? I presume its the brother, I can find him on the embarkation rolls and nominal Rolls but not on the NAA records. Whoops no he says he was born in Boonah and his mother is Jessie Cowan Stanley. Hmmm

Di
                      Diane
                      Sydney Australia

Comment

Do any of the Australian online newspaper images give you anything useful?

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                          Do any of the Australian online newspaper images give you anything useful?

Christine
                          Could not see anything, Charles and Stanley gets too many hits. So does William Stanley Toowoomba.

Di
                          Diane
                          Sydney Australia

Comment

Christine...............nothing ynder the full name (which may or may not be real) and too many under just Charles Stanley.

I know Charles Stanley's grand daughter. She was always told the Ariell (dobule 'l') family were her grandfather's cousins and that is what it says in the WW1 records.

We are trying to connect her double 'L' Ariell with my one 'L' Ariel.

The letters "Charlie" wrote from the war are prolific. They are very well written, beautiful writing and grammar, so we presume the man was educated. A lot were to the Smale family of Warwick, Qld. If you look at the man Smale under Charles in that link I gave, he was from Freestone Qld. That is now almost a suburb of Warwick, Qld.

Comment

Hi Libby

I had another look at John Inglis Ariell, to try and work out his connection. There is a tree on ancestry that says his parents were Thomas Harris Ariell and Catherine nee Frame and he was born in 1869. So a fair bit older than Charles Stanley.

In 1903 John Inglis Ariell is in the Victorian Electoral Rolls at Inglesby Road Camberwell with Katherine (mother), Kate Maude, Clara Alice and Emma Margaret. In 1913, he is in Queensland in Maranoa district - "Minnie Downs" station Hand and "Terick Terick" labourer. By 1924 he is back at Inglesby Road Camberwell, with Clara Alice, Emma Margaret and Kate Maude, still a station hand and they are all still there in 1949. In 1931 James William Ariell is also in the household as well as Louise Alice Ariell. JW died in 1934 (NLA Newspapers) but Louisa Alice stays on until 1949.
                              That must have been an interesting household, John and all his unmarried sisters !

According to the tree (looks like from the Frame side), the only other sister is Isabella born 1857. I will go and look more at the NLA newspapers and see if there's anything else.

Di
                              Last edited by dicole; 18-02-10, 03:27. Reason: correction
                              Diane
                              Sydney Australia

Comment

Don't know if this is of any relevance for the ARIELL part of the tree...
                                The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848-1954) Monday 25 April 1904

BUTCHER-ARIELL.—[Silver Wedding.]—On the 24th April, 1879, at Lisson grove, Hawthorn, by the Rev. Patten, Thomas William Butcher, of Mitchell's Creek Station, to Belle, eldest daughter of the late T. H. Ariell, Port Mel-bourne.
                                Christine
                                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There are also lots of references to Swallow & Ariell. I gather, from googling, that they were important biscuit manufacturers in the mid/late C19th.

Christine

Comment

Yes, Thomas Harris Ariell was "Ariell" of Swallow and Ariell, and Belle was daughter Isabelle. Can't find any Stanley Connection yet. Guess they will have to chase Thomas's siblings and see where that leads.

Di
                                    Diane
                                    Sydney Australia

Comment

Thanks for the help. I'll get together with Charlie's grand daughter next week and see what we find. It's so confused at the moment I'm sure we ( not you) have gone wrong somewhere, but we've followed back with certs.

Comment

I've been playing on the newspaper section of this:
                                        Australia’s free online research portal. Trove is a collaboration between the National Library of Australia and hundreds of Partner organisations around Australia.

I find I have to go back to the beta section to make corrections without signing up, because the cryptic letter-images don't come up on the main site.

Is this any use:
                                        The Sydney Morning Herald (NSW : 1842-1954)
                                        Saturday 21 February 1914
                                        page 20

Mrs. CHARLES STANLEY, sen., and FAMILY wish
                                        to THANK all kind friends and, relations for ex-
                                        pressions of sympathy, letters, cards of condolence,
                                        and floral tributes in their recent sad bereavement.
                                        Is this relevant for you?

Christine

Comment

Working...
                                        X