Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to clarify relationship on 1891 and 1901 Blackpool censuses.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to clarify relationship on 1891 and 1901 Blackpool censuses.

My interest is in 1901 when family leave Rishton, Lancs and go to Blackpool:

Matthew Clayton b1854 Clayton-Le-Moors, Lancs Butcher & Confectioner.
    He and family are at No 1 and 1a Chapel St, Blackpool
    Although at the Wellington Hotel next door and clearly a separate household, Mary Gerrard b1849 Glasson Dock, Lancs (unmarried) Hotel Manageress is put as s-in-law. She is included in the transcription by Ancestry as a member of my lot:

While you are in Blackpool in 1901 above, take a look at the professions on the page, including Wax Works...

In 1891, Mary Gerrard is now clearly sister-in-law, with different neighbours who have a different address. As this neighbour, Starkie, is a Lodging House keeper, I am taking it that she is related to him and not my lot. Can't find a link for her with mine.

What do you think? Thanks.
    Liz

BMD has a Joseph Starkie married a Janet gerrard in Wigan 1890, so could that be the link?
    I could not see the images for the links that you supplied, as ancestry subscription now expired.

1911, a Matthew Clayton, wife Isebella and family are now boarding house keepers in Blackpool

Trev

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Many thanks Trev. What threw me was the birth place of Mary Gerrard, Glasson Dock...that is in Isabella Clayton's tree but I can't find a link. Thanks for the info 1911. So pleased Isabella got out from her weaving background to the fresh air and fun of Blackpool. Quite cheered me up!
      Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 15-02-10, 21:19.
      Liz

Comment

PM me for information on their address.

Trev
        Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 15-02-10, 21:37.

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

What a co-incidence, my family moved to Blackpool in 1913 and were at 1 Chapel Street for the next fifty years - I was born there!

The last time I saw the property, about three years ago, it was a (closed down) lap-dancing club.

AianC
          Michael

Lincolnshire, East Yorkshire,Lancashire, Cheshire, Worcester and Montgomery (so far)

Comment

Aian...I was going to suggest to my friend, whose tree I am researching, that he go and visit (using his bus pass) some of his ancestor's addresses. Erm..perhaps I had better not suggest this one...

How interesting though that his ancestors who moved to a boarding house in Blackpool in 1911 might have known your family.
            Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 16-02-10, 10:38.
            Liz

Comment

I did take a photograph, however ...............

Aian
              Michael

Lincolnshire, East Yorkshire,Lancashire, Cheshire, Worcester and Montgomery (so far)

Comment

Aian...have mailed you
                Liz

Comment

Working...
                X