mariner's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mariner's

clutching at straws here, is there anything searchable online for mariner's information in the 1850's?

Joyce

You might find something useful in our Reference Library in the Military and Maritime Section.

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

thank you Caroline i will take a look

Comment

Hi - are you looking for someone who was in England or elsewhere?
        There are a few sites around that may give you some ideas if you don't find info in the Military and Maritime Section ..[url]http://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/yms/yms.php.. http://www.cyndislist.com/ships.htm is good for Australia as well

Comment

Hi Joyce

I can look in the Trinity House Petitions index if they were in the UK.
          Do you have any names ?

Comment

I seem to remember someone finding some merchant navy records on Googlebooks but I'm afraid I can't find the link any more.

Comment

Is this the thread you mean Lindsay?
              Sarah

Comment

That's the one, Sarah!

Comment

Hi Astro Lady and thank you for offering to look in the Trinity House Petitions index, I am looking for John Mckay/Mackay born 1825-1830 Scotland,

he was in Liverpool in the 1860's and was a mariner, I am hoping to find were in Scotland he was born

Comment

Joy, do you know if he was ever a captain? Lloyds of London captains registers are online - there should be a link in the WIKI.
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

no John, he was just a mariner.

Comment

this is a great site for Irish mariners

A searchable database of over 25000 Irish merchant seamen recorded on the government CR10 index cards from 1918-1921

Comment

Originally posted by Joy123 View Post
                          Hi Astro Lady and thank you for offering to look in the Trinity House Petitions index, I am looking for John Mckay/Mackay born 1825-1830 Scotland,

he was in Liverpool in the 1860's and was a mariner, I am hoping to find were in Scotland he was born
                          Joy,sorry i never saw your post earlier. There are a couple references to McKay/Mackay but far too old to be YOUR John as they were aged over 70 in 1840. I looked for variations on the surname but there was nothing close.

Comment

There was a lot of movement of seafarers between ports. My ancestor wot commanded my avatar was Scottish but set up house in Liverpool while he was employed by the Black Ball Line. And OH has seafaring ancestors who moved between Sunderland and Liverpool.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

thank you for looking Astro Lady, it was nice of you. I have never moved in 10 years with my Mckay family, maybe I should just give up on them..

Joyce

Comment

Joyce.....cheer up...there`s always new avenues to venture down...try this....hopefully someone may be able to advise you...go to www.yoliverpool.com and register free....when you are a member and can post your thread go to this thread and post or ...start a new thread....good luck.....here is a thread on Sailors from Liverpool

Does cracker hash mean anything to you? If the answer is a huge 'yes' then this is the place for you. The home for ex-sailors.

allan
                                Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                                oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                                adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                                merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                                coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

thanks Alan... you have no idea how elusive this family are..

Joyce

Comment

Hi - have you looked through http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Comment

Working...
                                    X