Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Gillam

Hi, I need a bit of help here.
    Does anyone have any information on Thomas Gillam's parents? He was born in Lancashire in 1811 and was a gardener, he married Elizabeth Richardson from Knutsford around 1830, their son Thomas was born in Huyton in 1839, he became a blacksmith and died in Birkenhead in 1921.
    I thought it would not be too hard to find but the name is more popular than I first thought. I guess that his parents birth records would be in the 1780's.
    Kind Regards
    Nige

Priestley (Halifax), Bolton (Halifax), Bancroft (Bradford/Halifax), Lucksmith (Halifax), Barlow (Neston), Williams (Conway), Sillitoe (Cheshire), Hall (Northants), Bromley (Bucks/Northants/Leics?), Gillam (Huyton)

I take it you've got Thomas (1839)'s birth certificate so you're definite about the parents' names.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I had a quick look on Lancs OPC http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
      but couldn't see anything useful there (yet).

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, I do have his birth certificate (2/6/1839), it says his mother was Elizabeth Richardson and his Father, Thomas was a labourer at that time. The registration district is Prescot but the birth was in Huyton (or near there).
        I think that Elizabeth was originally from Knutsford in Cheshire
        Kind Regards
        Nige

Priestley (Halifax), Bolton (Halifax), Bancroft (Bradford/Halifax), Lucksmith (Halifax), Barlow (Neston), Williams (Conway), Sillitoe (Cheshire), Hall (Northants), Bromley (Bucks/Northants/Leics?), Gillam (Huyton)

Comment

There are some possible baptism records (registers and bishop's transcripts) for Elizabeth Richardson (1805 & 1807 in Knutsford) showing on the new familysearch pilot site.

If Thomas & Elizabeth had a daughter Ann, who married James Jones, 23 Sep 1860, then he's recorded as bride's father. (That shows on that pilot sit as well.)

Christine
          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, Christine
            Thomas (b 1811) and Elizabeth (b.1811) also had a daughter Anne, the knutsford records are a bit early for Elizabeth though.
            Kind Regards
            Nige

Comment

Do you have any census records to establish a place of birth? The reason I ask is that on 1851 are this family living in Birkenhead

HO107, piece 2175, folio 638, page 65

James Gillam (on Ancestry its transcribed as Gleeons but I'm pretty sure it says Gillam) 43, gardener born Gresford, Denbighshire
              Elizabeth 44 b Knutsford
              John Johnson stepson 17 b Huyton
              Thomas Gillam 11 b Huyton
              Anne Gillam 2 or 9 ? b Huyton
              Joseph Gillam 2 b Birkenhead

I realise the first name is wrong but I think this is the same family in 1841 in Huyton

HO107, piece 512, book 7, folio 24, page 2
              Thomas Gillam 30 labourer
              Elizabeth 30
              Mary 11 all born out of county (Lancashire)
              Thomas 2
              John Johnson 8 both born in county

If this is the right family, it would seem that the father, Thomas was Welsh. Also as there is a stepson called Johnson, could Elizabeth have been married before?
              Jackie

Comment

Gillam Census1851

I agree with you, Night Owl, I have no idea why Thomas should change his name to James and back to Thomas in 1861 (perhaps this was his middle name) but I found out that Mary Gillam was born in Holt (Gresford/Wrexham) in Denbighshire. His birth year in 1861 is now consistent with 1851 (also Elizabeth).
                Still sleuthing!
                Kind Regards
                Nige

Comment

I have many James in my tree who are sometimes transcribed as Thomas.

The two names have a very similar outline.

OC

Comment

Ditton Jonas and Thomas - where I think its a case of sound rather than outline

Comment

Working...
                    X